Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trading up to the new XP's (What we all want to know)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just informed the wife of my intentions of possibly selling my SP800 and going
for the 2010 550XP. She was pi$$ed, lol. Anyone know if I could mount Bighorns on the stock wheels and the reality of keeping my plow but just getting a new plow frame that would fit the 550XP and my Glacier 2 plow system? As for the rear cargo box, ohh well, and maybe I can save a few extra on getting the scabbard piece and keeping the boot.

What about the winch, will it move over from the old Sportmans to the new?

Thanks,

R'

Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

you'd be fine with the bighorns, and you could keep the winch, you'd just need a new mount plate

Old 12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

You can use the box also. The L&R pin holes are in the same spots.

Sure you wanna give up the 800 for a 550?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I know, he needs to go 850 all the way

Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

Bigger is not always better.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Honestly I will let my future DEMO ride make my decision for me. The dealer close to my in-laws will have them fresh stocked after the first of the year.

I agree BIGGER IS NOT always BETTER! I think I can say that being a SP800 owner. I would of been completely happy with a SP700 or even a 500HO coming up from the SP450. I think for me it was all the rock and steep hill climbing. I just don't like my jumpy throttle and easy front lift making my roll predication 10-1. On top of that I have my riding wieght (work in progress) and rear suspension squat issue.

I just want a better handling machine, EPS is attractive and I just want to check it out. If what I find is so so or does not impress me then why sell and buy again? I will let that day decide, alot of you guys rave about these machines so we will see!

Thanks all,

R'

Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

In my opinion some of the current ATV's that are 700cc's or so and above can really take the fun OUT of what I ride an ATV for. Sure, raw horsepower is fun at times....and when one has plenty of open stretches to let the throttle go. But for me, I prefer agility, smoother and less 'jumpy' throttle, lighter weight, great low speed handling, and of course high mpg's. I've ridden 250's that were a blast on tight trails and I NEVER really felt like I couldn't go where a more powerful ATV went. Perhaps not as fast...nor did I win any 'races'....but the fun factor was great. In my opinion....and I'll admit being only an infrequent rider, I think the ideal ATV is anywhere from 400 to 650 cc's. Polaris seems to have some great models in that range. I just recently purchased a 550X2 and so far I couldn't be happier. Plenty of power...even with two people, and the ride and agility are great with a balance of available horsepower that only a speed demon would find underpowered. Heck, doesn't the new 850XP top out at almost 70mph? Geez man, tell me what trail you would go 70 on? Must be nuts to do that. Even in my Ford pickup I wouldn't do that on the best of dirt roads.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Some people do drive different and expect different things out of their atv. Sometimes I find myself wanting to use the 500 for certain things. For trail riding though, I would not be happy with the 500. I haven't ridden a 550, so I can't comment.
For me, it's not the fact of the 850 going super fast top end. I could really care less. I just like to get to 40-50 mph very quickly and have tourque for the bigger tires, if I decide to get any. I know there is alot of emphasis on top speed in some of the posts, but in reality how often will you go top speed......And yet others just like to be able to say they have the fastest machine even though they have very little use for it.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

agreed with roofer.

Rtickwad, i only have about 30 min or so on the 850 but if you are worried about the front end coming up then def go with a 550. you punch the throttle on the 850 the front end comes up without trying. im going to have to adjust the shocks some and hopefully when i get the winch, the added weight will help some.

the 550 being a different model will over all be better than the 800 IMO, except for the power. if you are going to do it, def go eps, you will not regret it.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good info, and I appreciate the encouragement 05twin700! Yea just being a Sp800 rider I know about the power thrust. I know a few that have now developed the "throttle feathering" skill on the 800's up steep rutted hills much BETTER than me but even they admit after riding a while they are just now developing it. Again another REVELATION that no one really shares as its a huge part of the learning curve with the RIDING EXPERIENCE.

I was also MUD STRICK'en where a few places we ride have great mud holes and the swampy marshing area of the Eastern shore for hunting and I wanted so much to run the BIGGER tires as to another push to go up from SP450 to 800 class. But again it all comes back to what kind of riding you do. For me I found (hard way, lol) that I really don't MUD that much and more hit the rocky mountain terrain, mixed woods with tight trees etc. So driving this tank thru those trails and unhappily finding myself at huge disadvantages with my mountain trails, I couldn't even relax going up the semi-difficult hill climbs without panic. Like I have said to my riding group "This is just a hobby and I don't plan on getting killed on these things, no more LIFE or DEATH hill climbs for me. You all HAVE AT IT!" -- Morle of my story is sometimes an accident (a few too many now to count) teaches you the important things.

Translation: Family+Getting older = Little more cautious these days...8-)

Will the 550XP be a more safe machine for me to drive? Is it more psychological? Maybe no more safe but just a little more fun and comfortable to drive? I don't know? I am definately looking forward to the new year to demo ride it and see for myself. I hope to have the same report as you all!

Regards,

R'

Quick Reply: Trading up to the new XP's (What we all want to know)