Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trading up to the new XP's (What we all want to know)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile go big RticKwad 850 is for you

hi RticKwad... dude dont cheap out.. i know times are kinda hard these days..but if you are even considering trading up to a 2010 then i think you should live large go big and get the xp 850 w/eps.. im on my 3rd big bore polaris i have a 06 800 sportsman with 6000 miles (still going strong) i had an 07 800x2 lost it in a salt water river crossing (long story) now i have an 09 xp850 its the best ride ever..in my opinion dont cheap out and get the 550 you gotta get the 850 you wont be sorry..thats my story an im sticking to it...what ever you decide RticKwad.. happy trails to you bro!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

I see you ride where I like to steep hills and rocks! I did ride the 550 xp then the 850xp I decided to go with the 850 eps. The 550 xp from what I experienced was very snappy and very easy to lift the front end in low range for steep hills I didn't look at the overall gear ratio of the 550 versa the 850 though. All the guys I ride with that have ridden my 850 cant believe the ride and how it handles dodging rocks plus I average 55miles per tank going slow and on the throttle a lot with 4.5 gallon enough for all day in the snow. Everyone who rides mine falls in love with the bike (non eps I ride with get sore arms at the end of the day) they cant believe the mpg I get going slow plus I average 80-90 miles in high range per tank.I m a big guy too going to upgrade stock tires to something more aggressive for hills plus rim saver that I need. Dependably SO FAR no problems its just a matter of time with the electrical that scares me so preventive maintenance is important to me. Ride the 550 then the 850 either one you cant go wrong POLARIS makes a nice machine.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by oinkjackson
hi RticKwad... dude dont cheap out.. i know times are kinda hard these days..but if you are even considering trading up to a 2010 then i think you should live large go big and get the xp 850 w/eps.. im on my 3rd big bore polaris i have a 06 800 sportsman with 6000 miles (still going strong) i had an 07 800x2 lost it in a salt water river crossing (long story) now i have an 09 xp850 its the best ride ever..in my opinion dont cheap out and get the 550 you gotta get the 850 you wont be sorry..thats my story an im sticking to it...what ever you decide RticKwad.. happy trails to you bro!
Nothing personal here....but I really don't think that getting a 550 over an 850 is "cheaping out". Sometimes buying much more than what you need is foolish and can leave your wallet lighter without an increase in the fun-factor. If he intends on putting larger tires, prefers thick mud, and enjoys power slides....then yes, added HP is something he should look at. But given his stated requirements and desires....I think the 550 will more than prove to be an ample ride. Sometimes it's wiser to put the ego factor away and think about what truly makes ATV'ing fun. The 550 can do EVERYTHING the 850 can do....just a tad less fast.
Just my two cents.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Rtickwad here is my 2 cent...
The 550 probably has plenty of power...but just realize that it doesn't have the power that your 800 does...
The 850 isn't as jumpy down low IMO as the 800 is...not sure if it is the higher gearing or what but the power is very controllable.
The 850,and likely the 550 as well, XPs in general also climb better than the 800...lower center of gravity and with a little weight on the front(winch and brush guards) it is obviously more confident climbing steep hills. I climbed hills on my 850 that my 800 just couldn't make without lifting the front end.
BUT if you really want a machine that will impress you with how it climbs look at the 2ups..they climb with alot less "panic"...there is one STEEP hill here by the house that I never made on the 850,got alot farther than when I had the 800 though...and I tired several times..not enough room to get a run and at the speeds I could get it would either start spinning or lift the front end or both,I gave up after I nearly ate a lagre stump rolling back down one time...Hairy! I really probably had no business trying to climb it..an accident waiting to happen.
Anyhow now I can climb it on the 2up easily....the only time I was nervous on the 2up is the first time because I knew how much of a challenge the hill had been on a single seater..the 2up almost feels like I am cheating lol.
Just throwing it out there since you mentioned climbing....

Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Man that is exactly what one could hope for and that is a nice healthy conversation on the topic. Okay so GASPUMPCITY are you saying that going 550 Vs. 850 will NOT solve my current issue of front lift for hill climbs and crawls? So thats NOT a high-power engine issue but more of a clutch engagement/gear ratio thingy? Just trying to better understand!

So if either XP lifts that easy Vs. the non-XP models than why are they better handling for steep hills? Throttle response? I would think if they lift easy then that would be a problem. Hence my point with the non-XP. Am I making sense? I know I can lift my SP800 but on flat I would have to put the throttle down abit and hoist a little. On the hills it just seems to me that when you put the throttle down that the main power is shifted to the rear giving a slight jumpy effect, when on flat not much to notice since you are going for speed but its JUST that little bit that I hate the way it hill climbs, mix with over 300lb rider, weight in the back, rear suspension squat issue, front raised 2" off center, wet, rocky, and any bad judgement with BODY ENGLISH and Tiiiimmmmmbbber! lol..lol Okay so you get my point?

So rather then fork out some bucks on improvements the trading or out right selling and buying a new XP seemed a little more attactive. Ohhh BTW, oinkJCK, not cheaping out, if I really want the 850 I will buy, afterall, I bought the baddest of the BAD and top Polaris Quad in 2008 (Plus another few k on all the accessories, wheel kit)....8-) But thanks for your opinion and the rest of the others, I will NOT exclude the 850XP for demo ride for sure now!
HO if there is any 2-up avail for demo ride, I am going to have one heck of a day at the dealership, lol..lol

Thanks all,

R'

Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

I can second the XP's ability to climb better than the standard Sportsman chassis. Not just the power, but better layout and weight distribution. There is one hill (sounds like a re-occuring thing) where we ride that we would have to get a real good run on the old sportsman's, and nearly every other quad that tries it too. The XP can crawl up it in low at around 4 MPH. Only the Renegade 500 and XP can do it without a speed run at the bottom.. otherwise it's slip-slidin and bail out. I think an Outlander could too, but our friend with the Outty 400 won't try. I won't try on the Prairie either.. too light up front.

I'm sure the 2-ups are awesome for hilling, with the greater wheelbase and all. Do you notice the advantage less with a passenger, or doesn't it really matter?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

I upgraded to my 550XP non eps over my '96 sportsman 500 and what a huge difference! I choose the 550 over the 850 due to cost & worried about fuel consumption. I choose the non-eps over the eps because of the fuel tank being smaller on eps models, a little less than a gallon. Where I ride I need all the fuel mileage I can get and I didn't want to have to carry around extra fuel. I'm extremely happy on my purchase and don't regret it one bit

Old 12-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
I'm sure the 2-ups are awesome for hilling, with the greater wheelbase and all. Do you notice the advantage less with a passenger, or doesn't it really matter?
Well I haven't tried any scary steep hills with a passenger,for 2 reasons, whether it does or not I have to think the addition of a passenger is going to decrease at least some how well the 2up climbs as far as keeping the front down compared to only one rider...just makes sense and 2) my passengers are usually my wife or daughter so I'll make them get off before I risk there safety.
But I have climbed some moderate hills with a passenger and for having 2 people on, it is ALOT more stable than a 1up with 2 people on it...obvious right? Maybe so but I was actually suprised at how much better it does...night and day better...dare I say it feels as as confident as a 1up with 1 rider,maybe more so. On the 2ups the passengers weight is forward of the rear axle..very important,it does appear that on some of the 2ups the passenger is farther forward of the axle than on others...the farther forward the passengers weight the better for climbing with a passenger. The 2ups are alot better suited to carrying a passenger longitudinally,ie longer wheelbase. Laterally they aren't alot better,they are generally the same width as their single seat counterpart. So they climb and descend alot better than a shorter machine,off camber(at and angle) still a good bit better,but they can still get you in trouble on side slopes,especially if your passenger doesn't know how to ride. It is almost human nature to lean upslope...but I have seen a few passengers defy human nature. lol.

Here's the thing though...who says you have to ride 2up to ride a 2up machine? I ride 1up about 1/2 the time,I just pull the seat off and put on the little cargo box...
And if I were to have no need to ride 2up tomorrow I would still ride a 2up machine...from now on my main Utility ATV will be a 2up machine...and have PS...those are 2 must haves for me.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

RTICKWAD Man that is exactly what one could hope for and that is a nice healthy conversation on the topic. Okay so GASPUMPCITY are you saying that going 550 Vs. 850 will NOT solve my current issue of front lift for hill climbs and crawls? So thats NOT a high-power engine issue but more of a clutch engagement/gear ratio thingy? Just trying to better understand! RTICKWAD Rear axle ratio is 3.71 on MY 850 Im not sure what the ratio is on the 550 my guess its lower ratio just felt like it. I did not get to try the 550 out on a really steep hill only small jumps and on flat land. The 550 felt very responsive off the line like it wanted to lift (couldn't hammer it dealer looking on) then I tryed the 850 very controllable till you put it in low gear then it would wheellie if you hammered it hard (dealer not watching) this sold me! The 1/2 less fuel with the EPS is no big deal to me cuz I carry xtra fuel. Carry your fuel on the front rack plus run your rear pre load up should cure your fear of wheeling over rocks and steep hills.My shock pre load is at the lowest setting and I love it there. I live at 6500 ft and ride at 7000-11000 ft so my engine will be derated somewhat compare to you at a lower altitude.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Look and see if the 550 has a upper radiator hose this close to the frame! This is a disaster waiting to happen on all the 850 RUBBING ISSUI

Quick Reply: Trading up to the new XP's (What we all want to know)