Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PSI pipe and Clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MNXPLORER,
thanks for the phone number,they will get a call from me tommorrow.

I was riding again today and discovered something new.At around a little less that 1/8 throttle,with the brakes set,[im loading the engine slightly]the engine has a mis in it,hit the throttle just a little more,and the mis goes away.

I checked the plug,it was not the color it should be,it was more on the black side,so I jetted DOWN from 260 to 250 and installed a used spark plug,no differance.I tried to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw and it made no diferance either.Im a little more than one and a half turns out with it.

I'll install a new plug in the morning and see what happens,if the mis is still there,im going to go and see Steve at Polaris.Im wondering how long this has been going on[the mis]?This is my FIRST 2 stroke and its really been a fine one up to this point.Right now,im just about as exausted as you can get with this thing,however,I know there IS light at the end of my tunnel,
Bill

Old 02-25-2001, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1/8 throttle is in the area of your pilot jet not the main, You might need to lean the pilot jet a step.

Old 02-25-2001, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, It is hard to put a system together from scratch, Which is the feeling im getting from your delima, I dont know much about psi? are they like dynoport and say you dont need a clutch kit or even re-jet?? I hope not, With RCR and HPD you get a good starting point,Ive owned both thier kits and had good success, If the psi pipe is your only option right now do yourself a favor and order the AAEN clutch tuning hand book its about $6 and will give a better understanding of your clutch and where to start, Call psi tomorrow and see if you can find out what rpm there pipe comes on and go from there, If they are unwilling to help ditch the psi and get RCR or HPD to build you a kit. Youve come this far dont give up!! my first polaris was a bear untill I bought AAEN's clutch book and started to understand the clutching instead of just changing expensive springs and wieghts to no avail!!

Old 02-26-2001, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

Todd,
I was recommended to PSI from a fellow Forum user.I originally went with RcR and he sent me a HDP pipe and a stock Scrambler silencer, that set up has been working perfectly on the 99 Model Xplorer's,however,mine is a 2000 model and the shifter is in a differant location and the pipe DONT fit.

PSI?
I told the guy at PSI that in Michigan,we have to stay below the 96db noise level and it is also a law to have a spark arrester.This clown sends me a pipe and silencer that would wake up the dead.No arrester either,and PSI has NOTHING that will adapt to it so I can quite it down and also add a arrester,so Rick Ritter is sending me a Scrambler silencer and the plumbing so it'll attach to my PSI pipe and at least I''ll be legal to ride.Im going to go see Steve [Polaris mechanic] this morning and talk this whole thing over,
Bill

Old 02-26-2001, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Todd, what is so bad about a Dynoport pipe? I'm just curious, mine seems to work fine. Is it they don't make as much HP as the others? They are a very well built pipe and there fit and finish is excellant. They are also quite and they claim 7-8hp gain.

Old 02-26-2001, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

>>>>>>I tried to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw and it made no differance either.Im a little more than one and a half turns out with it.

Every engine is different but this could be a part of it.
--------------------------------------------------
Piped engines require different jetting and your results will vary. Here is what I found out about stock Xplorer jetting, for what it's worth.
--------------------------------------------------

Start turning the screw in 1/8th turn at a time, and run and test it until you find the "sweet spot"

Having had two 400's I know that both were faster when the main jet was spot on and the air screw was somewhere between 3/4 and 1 turn out. Even 1/16th of turn can make a difference as you get it dialed in.

Jetting: The Xplorer that you have came standard with a 210 main jet. The 1995 400's had a 200 main jet. Perhaps 250 is a bit too rich and probably is if your sparkplug is reading black. The carb airscrew on these machines has a higher influence on performance than most people give it credit for. When my son put a K&N air filter on his 400 the dealer recommended a 230 jet to compensate for the air flow. Guess what? the performance and gas mileage went into the dumper. So back to the 210 jet. When the temperature was above 50, that 400 would really rip with the 200 jet in it. Good luck

Old 02-26-2001, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

I just left Steve [Polaris mechanic] and he said my engine is NOT mis-firing,he said that this is characteristic of a piped ATV.

I got to the spot to where I thought it was mis-firing,Steve hit the choke a little,it made no differance,so there it is,the pipe is just messing with my head?

MNXPLORER,
I called the number you give me this morning,alls I got was someones recording and it was not HDP,I will look it up and see what went wrong,
Bill

Old 02-26-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

MNXPLORER, Nothing is bad about your pipe to my knowledge, I just have no experience with it, Between myself and some friends we have used RCR,HPD, & FMF. I have helped set those bikes up and have a little insight. From what Ive read the Dynoport doesnt need clutching because its power is made in the stock power band, Thats all I was gettting at.

Old 02-26-2001, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Here's there new # Bill, 612-389-3336

Good Luck

Old 02-26-2001, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I just got off the phone with PSI and explained my problem.The guy said I need to have my carb clip set at the 2ond notch from the top cause im running to rich on the bottom end,I will try that tommorrow.

MNXPLORER,
I also called Dynoport this afternoon,talked to the owner Rich.He said with his pipe I dont have to have a clutch kit or re-jet?First time I ever heard this with a pipe mod.He sounded very serious to me.Im going to give this carb clip a shot tomorrow,if it dont work,Im going to e-mail you with my phone number so we can FURTHER,IN DETAIL,discuss this Dynoport pipe and silencer.You can call me collect.Im TIRED of playing with something that is SUPPOSE to work,
Bill

Quick Reply: PSI pipe and Clutching?