Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP! 800 Throttle problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 800 Throttle problem

Hey all! I am in desparate need of help. I am not a mechanic by any means... but I do TRY and do things myself.

I have a 2007 Sportsman 800cc EFI. I bought in Feb08 brand new. Last Sunday, I starter her up and was going to use it to winch off a round-bale of hay for my horses. I got on... and the thumb-throttle appeared to be stuck. I put in park and applied a little more pressure... it gave, reved high up, I let off and it killed.

I thought I snapped the throttle cable as the thumb controler was stuck in a midway forward position rather than back to idle position. I was out of town this week and couldn't work on it. Just got back and started tearing it apart. I opened up both the handlebar housing and the throttle body housing down by the engine. The cable doesn't appear to be broken. If I hold the throttle open just a little bit (to keep the sensors apart), I can get it to fire up... but it revs WAY up. When I push the thumb throttle in, I can see that it is pulling the lever in the throttle body. The throttle cable does appear to stick open... but a little push on the lever in the throttle body snaps it back into place.

A little background as well... I power-washed the wheeler after hunting (3-4 weeks ago). It was not freezing cold out when I did it... When this happened the other day, it WAS freezing. It is possible that water is a problem... but not sure WHERE it would cause the problem. I don't see any water.

I called the service guy at the nearest polaris shop... and he didn't have a clue.

I know people here are gods when it comes to this stuff... so I am hoping someone has an answer. Someone PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definately either the cable sticking or the throttle body but my guess is it is in the cable. Unhook the cable from the throttle body and see which is binding independently, the cable or the throttle body...

Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

It might be that some water got into someplace it isn't supposed to be...Not sure......Can you put it in your garage or somewhere where if it is ice it might be able to melt and you have the throttle operating probably.....If it works right after that, you'll just have to track down the water but at least you'll know what the problem is....The problem with pressure washers is that they have so much pressure sometimes water gets pushed into places that they wouldn't normally get with just a garden hose....Good luck....Let us know......

John

Old 05-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi,
i have a 2005 800 and i have the same problem i am a mechanic, what i found with mine was the throttle cable wasnt cut but frayed where the cable comes into the throttle control housing on the handle bar and with it being frayed the cable will not retract all the way and with the way polaris throttle control is when this happens you either get full throttle or nothing. well hope this helps good luck

Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum to both of you. i agree to check the cable for either a fray or being all rusted or gunked up.