Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 needs new ecu??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaukFJ
Having similar problems with mine. Used it for plowing last week for the first time. Noticed that 4x4 didn't engage always when going from forward to reverse. Didn't notice the icons. Most of the time it was during hard use - putting in reverse and hitting the throttle. Seamed that if I was backing out at a slow speed it would engage. Sucks when you see both back wheels turning and nothing in front! Scheduled to take it in for the steering/front suspension recall (when parts are off backorder!) and to fix the bent Glacier II plow frame. Will have them check the ECU as well. thanks for the post.
I doubt anything wrong with ECU is causing the "issues" here(except for the failure to communicate with the Computer)....likely both machines AWD systems are working properly. Just something you have to get used to....
If you accerated before the AWD came back on when switching through neutral then it is likely that the RPMS exceeded 3100 and the AWD will not come on if engaged with RPM above 3100. When you switch from forward gears to reverse or vice versa make sure the icon is on before you get the RPMS about 3100..JMO..

Old 12-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll give that a try. Must be a new issue as I've never had to do that with my last 3 units (800 sp; 600 sp; and 400 Explorer). It's a little pain in the butt to have to wait....

Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Is this being exagerated because of the 1/5 revolution of rear wheels that it takes to engage the AWD?

The system is designed (all models) to only engage if there is rear wheel slippage. It automatically kicks out when stopped(newer models). It really isn't a locking system (as I've said in other posts). It locks and unlocks on it's own. I find it hard to believe that anyone would notice it though.
Just a thought.

I'm not sure who's dealer is making up stories, but I have heard of a few things with the digital wrench, updates, etc......

Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Just another thought.....check your battery ground connection.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
Is this being exagerated because of the 1/5 revolution of rear wheels that it takes to engage the AWD?

The system is designed (all models) to only engage if there is rear wheel slippage. It automatically kicks out when stopped(newer models). It really isn't a locking system (as I've said in other posts). It locks and unlocks on it's own. I find it hard to believe that anyone would notice it though.
Just a thought.

I'm not sure who's dealer is making up stories, but I have heard of a few things with the digital wrench, updates, etc......
If the AWD icon is on then there is power to the AWD coil and the operation at that point is strictly mechanical. The AWD doesn't electrically kick out so to speak. It does have protections that will prevent it from initally engaging, such as Engine RPM. Also apparently it electrically disengages in Park and Neutral. Once in a gear(hi,lo or reverse) and the switch in 4x4 and the icon comes on it will not electrically disengage. Once the rears slip enough(doesn't take much) the fronts are driven,the "sensing" of slip people talk of is all mechanical and really isn't sensing at all...it is a product of the differential design,cage, rollers and the front and rear being geared differently.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 PM
DCT
Banned

HO,

EDIT... LOL ... nevermind.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
HO,

Isn't there a wheel speed sensor on the transmission that signals the system that there is "slippage" at the rear wheels?
There is a speed sensor on the tranny, but no it does not sense wheel slippage..it gives readings for the speedo and the ECM uses it for controlling anything vehicle speed controlled such as cutting off ADC above 15mph...
The wheel slippage "sensing" is all mechanical That is why the front and rear gear ratios are different.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep... I see that now... thanks.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

To explain further...the XP has a rear ratio of 3.7:1 and a front ratio of 3.818:1...ie the rear is being driven slightly faster than the front...since the rear is moving the machine the front axles are turing the same speed as the rears..and therefore faster than the front differential...it is a simple overrunning clutch principle. Once the rears slip enough so that the front differential catches up to the speed of the axles the rollers in the diff ride up ramps on an inner race and wedge to an outer race connecton the diff to the side gears and thus the axles...

Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
JUst curious were you in ADC mode or just 4x4? I know I have seem mine go out when I went through Neutral...can't remember if I was in ADC at the time though,I would think not I rarely used it..
I know ADC is disabled in Neutral and Park but the manual says nothing about the 4x4 being disabled. But the service manual doas say to have it in hi or lo when checking for voltage at the AWD coil...so...who knows lol..
Like I said I never thought much about it just assumed when the selector sensor saw neutral it disabled AWD then once you hit reverse it came back on...just too a second or so.
Hopefully someoneelse will chime in. If that is the case maybe they changed that on the newer ones?? You would think that could be chaged by simple programming of the ECU?
I tried both- ADC and AWD...same result either way