Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 needs new ecu??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 needs new ecu??

Well I took my 09 850 to the dealer this week. I noticed while plowing and going from low to reverse or reverse to low that the awd icon would shut off for about 2 seconds and I would have to wait before taking off. I sure did not want to start spinning my tires and have awd kick in and ruin my cage. This was a pita while plowing. I checked my 550 and the icon stays on all the time no matter what you do with the shifter. Im sure it has done this since new but I only realized when I started to plow. Well the dealer tried to hook it up to digital wrench and nothing happened. The machine would not communicate with the software. He e-mailed polaris and they said some machines came with a ecu that did not have all the info installed on it. So they have ordered a new ecu to install on it. I wonder what "INFO" it is missing? Has anyone else heard about this? It is under warranty and will be covered. Also it is a feburary 09 build. Has anyone had the bad axles on a later build like mine? One of the axles is also clicking. I had my 550 axles replaced but that was a early build. Or maybe it is just a bad cv joint? Anyway im sure they will fix it I was just wondering if the axle issiues were fixed by my build date.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I'm noticed my AWD icon would go out momentarily when you went through Neutral with the shifter like you are describing. I just assumed it was normal for the AWD to deactivate in Neutral. But I never used mine for plowing so there was never was an issue that caused me to investigate it.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Does everybody elses 850 do this??? My 550 does not and the 2010 550 at the dealer does not either. the icon stay on all the time. I have not had a oppertunity to try it on any other 850's. Let know those with a 850...

Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

JUst curious were you in ADC mode or just 4x4? I know I have seem mine go out when I went through Neutral...can't remember if I was in ADC at the time though,I would think not I rarely used it..
I know ADC is disabled in Neutral and Park but the manual says nothing about the 4x4 being disabled. But the service manual doas say to have it in hi or lo when checking for voltage at the AWD coil...so...who knows lol..
Like I said I never thought much about it just assumed when the selector sensor saw neutral it disabled AWD then once you hit reverse it came back on...just too a second or so.
Hopefully someoneelse will chime in. If that is the case maybe they changed that on the newer ones?? You would think that could be chaged by simple programming of the ECU?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Mine drops out of AWD when going from H or L to reverse, but just like HighOctane (great Cult album BTW) it only drops out for a second or so. The other guy I ride with's 850XP does it too, and we have build dates 5 months apart.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
Mine drops out of AWD when going from H or L to reverse, but just like HighOctane (great Cult album BTW) it only drops out for a second or so. The other guy I ride with's 850XP does it too, and we have build dates 5 months apart.
I thought they all worked that way (in neutral or park)... doesn't explain why the 550's dslanec has (or tried) work differently?

To be on the safe side, I'd make sure the shifter linkage and range selector sensor are working correctly. However, usually when the range sensor is hooped, it show the wrong gear (or no gear) when the shifter is put into a gear.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Same here. 4wd icon turns off and back on while passing through neutral. I think they all do this. I haven't heard of any different ecu's.

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

You don't have 4x4 in reverse unless you press the override button..

Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by lcatv
You don't have 4x4 in reverse unless you press the override button..
Don't have to press the button on an XP.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No 4x4 in reverse - sometimes

Having similar problems with mine. Used it for plowing last week for the first time. Noticed that 4x4 didn't engage always when going from forward to reverse. Didn't notice the icons. Most of the time it was during hard use - putting in reverse and hitting the throttle. Seamed that if I was backing out at a slow speed it would engage. Sucks when you see both back wheels turning and nothing in front! Scheduled to take it in for the steering/front suspension recall (when parts are off backorder!) and to fix the bent Glacier II plow frame. Will have them check the ECU as well. thanks for the post.