Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Magnum 330 wont go into AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Magnum 330 wont go into AWD

Hi, first post here! Im trying to plow snow with our low hour 2003 Polaris 330 Magnum and it wont go into AWD! The AWD light comes on when I press and hold the reverse override button but when I let off of it it goes out and its not engaging the front differential. Our nephwew got the 4 wheeler stuck a few months back, the last time it was used actually and had to ask how to use AWD in reverse and Im wondering if he could have trasehd the front diff by throwing the switch on and off while trying to get it unstuck but Im really not sure, the 4 wheeler is practially new otherwise. Any thoughts?? WHen we try the built in AWD diagnostics all we get on the speedometer screen is a big " E ". We did just drive out in 14"+ of snow in my old Toyota 4wd and bought a new battery at Wal Mart thinking it wasnt getting enough power to actuate the AWD but it didnt seem to make a difference. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, we are expecting over 20" of snow and Id love to get the 4 wheeler out and plow some of the neighbors driveways for them! ~Matt

Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. are you saying that the awd light lights up, but no awd in either forward or reverse(which you do have to hold the overrdie button in to make it have awd in reverse and won't have if you let off the button)? if he were to have pushed the awd button while the rear wheels were spinning then he could have trashed the roller cage for sure. first make sure that you do have power going down to the frpnt end. imo

Old 12-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default RE

If I have the AWD switch in the ON position and press the Reverser Override buton the AWD light on the switch comes on, I was able to push some snow around by holding the reverser override button on the entire time but if I let off of it and come to a stop, even with the AWD button in the on position it comes out of awd and goes back to the rear wheels spinning. I dont think the front diff is the problem becuase its holding strong if I hold the button in but like I said when I let off it comes right back out of AWD even with the main switch in the ON position. Is there a relay or fuse for the main switch that could be bad or blown?

Old 12-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the awd works when you hold the button then there isnt a mechanical issue.. You say there is an error that pops up when you do the diagnostic... does it give any type of code?

Im thinking your problem could possibly be a bad switch for the gear selector. Does the display show the correct gear that you are in? Whatever the problem may be it sounds electical

Old 12-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if your awd isn't working in the foward gear w/out pushing the override, then as mentioned it might be the trans switch that is the issue making the bike think it's in reverse instead of forward requiring the button to be pushed.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I think your on to something!

The gear selector readout hasnt been working properly for a while, its hit or miss but I didnt think anything of it. Where is the selector switch located? Is it possible its just stuck or dirty? That makes perfect sense that it thinks its in R... Im going to google it and see if there is a parts list to show me where its located! Im glad that the diff seems to be OK. On annother note, how often should the fluid up there be changed? Its the original from the factory and Ive got around 60 hours on the clock. Thanks again for all the input! ~Matt

Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats your problem!! should be an easy fix ... should be on the right side of the machine in the footwell area ... you'll see the switch sitting on the transmission. has 5-6 wires going into it. Follow the shift linkage and it should get you there. probably about time to go ahead and change that fluid also... time has just as much effect on its condition as wear and tear. Even though its low hours moisture and dirt over time can work their way past the seals. When you get the time i would change it..

Trending Topics

Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

wouldn't hurt to do a complete fluid change onthe bike if you have not done a service yet being it's that old. imo

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider

Switch went bad on my 03-700, didn't have any awd either, I would say your on the right track, I tink the switch was $70.00 that was a few years ago.