Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fuel again to use or not touse ethanol based

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Fitter....I'd have to verify, but I think I remember seeing Polaris specify 87 octane for the XP. I just run 87 with 10% Ethanol and it runs great. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I run 87 in mine also, with no problems. I do add a little Lucas oil (upper cylinder lubrication) to the gas and it runs fine!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
Fitter....I'd have to verify, but I think I remember seeing Polaris specify 87 octane for the XP. I just run 87 with 10% Ethanol and it runs great. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I think you are right, but I wouldn't run a car engine that was 11:1 on 87, (the GM LS6 is 10.5:1, and spec's 93 Octane) and I know that fuel injection helps alot in newer applications with higher compression, but I feel better running higher octane fuel in it. I'm peculiar about some things, I can't help it.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote Chevron about E 10 fuel when it hit my area,(VA).Chevron E10 has a stable shelf life of one year when stored properly. Chevron has the Techron in it,(so does Texaco)-same refineries.

My car sits a lot, no problems in one year of use. I burn about a tank-18 gals-in two months.

For those with problems, I would recommend adding a good fuel filter between the tank and carb-or injectors-so the the filter gums up before the rest.

No experience with E-85.

Chevron-fueltek@chevron.com

Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Try a bit of MTBE in your water supply....That is some nasty stuff. Too bad they waited so long to get rid of it. A leaking underground gas tank caused massive well damage in a town I lived in about 10 years ago. Aside from having kids with an eyeball on their back, some of the property was all but worthless once the trouble was fully mapped out in the water table. Thankfully, we lived up on the hill above the tank.
Yep, it's really bad news.

In my states case it was Dianne Feinstein. a senator. I remember when MTBE first came out, the dumb b#$%#$ch said it was the best thing that happend to air quality. Then when MTBE started to contaminate water supplies around the state she actually got up and stated: Who is responsable for this toxic mess?
Aaaa, you, you dumb b#$%ch. In her case, you can't fix stupid!!!

I just don't get who is stupid enough to vote for her?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
I remember when MTBE first came out, the dumb b#$%#$ch said it was the best thing that happend to air quality. Then when MTBE started to contaminate water supplies around the state she actually got up and stated: Who is responsable for this toxic mess?
California has been using MTBE since the late 70s...Don't think she was in office back then. Politicians are not chemists so you have to take what any of them say with a grain of salt. I know she tired to get waivers passed to allow CA to not use it, but don't know how that turned out, or what her prior opinion was. Regardless of the politics, Ethel alcohol is a great substitute for that nasty stuff.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I was not talking about the very small amounts they put in the fuel in the 70's when they took out TEL.

Feinstein was elected in the early 90's. This was when they took alky out of the fuel and subsituted MTBE in 10% of the fuel in Kalifornia.

Like I said, they had 10% alky in the fuel in California in the 80's. Then they switched to MTBE. Then when they found out that MTBE was being found in lakes and wells they banned it and went back to alky. We have now had alky in Kalifornia fuel since the early to mid 2000"s.

This link is when Feinstein went on a hate campain against MTBE when found in water systems. Senator Dianne Feinstein - MTBE Before that, she loved it. Go figure?
Wish I could find the link of when she loved it!!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo

The bad is less mileage. Alky does not have the BTU's that straight gasoline has. That means that if your right on the edge of lean-ness with straight gasoline your going to go lean with E10.
That's exactly what my tech said on my carbed 500. He said they set them pretty lean to begin with to meet emission regulations. When I went back to straight gas, the leanness cleared up almost immediately.