Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Tires 850xp

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires 850xp

Happy New Year Everyone.

I realize there are many threads concerning tires, however every rider has different preferences. Mine are below.

I'm already looking into upgrading the tires on my 2010 850xp EPS as I'm not a fan of the stock set up. I was in the snow with these tires and I was sliding all over!

What i'm looking for:

Great Ride Quality
Increased Mud/Snow Traction (Obvious)
Cleans out easily
Not looking to have a huge over sized mud bogging tire, just a good all around tire set up that is a nice improvement above the stock tires.

Recommended Size would be great as well. I do not want to drastically change the tire size from the stock specs, a little bigger would be fine but I do not want to affect the ride quality nor handling in a negative way.

I look forward to your responses.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

IMO the ITP XTR's would be a good tire choice for you, they do all of what you ask for, and they are radial, so they will have a very good ride too
A little less aggressive tire option would be the ITP Terracross, or the Maxxis Bighorn, they are similar tires, but they will doo everything you want to do also, with a little less aggressiveness than the XTR's

Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I can only say what tires I plan on looking at when I replace my stock ones off of my 550X2.
First, consider only radials. Secondly, if cost is an issue the older designed ITP Holeshot ATR's still perform very well under 99% of circumstances....and they are priced right. These tires are not overly aggressive and don't have big ****'s on them, but in tests they STILL do great and in most cases will out perform most bias-ply tires on the market in average trail conditions. For a more aggressive tire and maybe a bit better traction the Carlisle Badlands AR Radial would be great. They are supposed to increase handling over stock bias tires considerably and do very well in most all-around conditions. My personal favorite (from reviews and opinions ONLY...I've never tried them myself) would have to be the ITP Terra Cross R/T. This 6 ply radial has shown to be superior to most other tires....including other radials, in durability, traction, handling, and weight. The Maxxis Bighorn's are nice but I think weight is an issue....but they do make a lighter Bighorn called the 2.0 I believe.
In my humble opinion if you choose any of the all-around trail radials out there you can't really screw up.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

If you really take a look at the atv tire world, almost every tire out is a knock off of the maxxis alternative. You can't go wrong with Maxxis. Maybe a mudbug radial would work for you. I would look at them, the bighorn, and zilla.

Don't forget that you are limited to 14" wheels.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rancherAT
My personal favorite (from reviews and opinions ONLY...I've never tried them myself) would have to be the ITP Terra Cross R/T. This 6 ply radial has shown to be superior to most other tires....including other radials, in durability, traction, handling, and weight. The Maxxis Bighorn's are nice but I think weight is an issue....but they do make a lighter Bighorn called the 2.0 I believe.
Actually the Big Horns are quite a bit lighter overall compared to the Terracrosses...

TERRACROSS R/T XD 26x9R-14 23.7 #
TERRACROSS R/T XD 26x11R-14 31.8 #

Terracross Total 111#

Big Horns.
AT26X9R14 24.200 #
AT26X11R14 27.500 #

Big Horn Total 103.40

BH 2.0s....
AT26X9R14 21.200 #
AT26X11R14 27.200 #

Big Horn 2.0 Total 96.80

For a good all around tire the BHs (or 2.0s) can't be beat. Great traction,last a very long time and are tough.
If you want something a little more agressive but don't want a full tilt mud tire look hard at the Zillas..
The ITP Mudlite XTRs are pretty good tires,but heavy for the performance they offer IMO,they actually feel heavier on the machine than the advertised weight elludes to imo...I never actually weighed them,but they felt VERY heavy on my 850 compared to the BH2.0s. My next all purpose tire with focus on mud will be the Zillas.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

No snow or rocky terrain down here but these XTR's do great in muddy condition's and general trail riding. I run them at 8 to 10 psi. I don't find they clean out too well and steep price are two drawback's.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am a fan of Maxxis tires and the Razr's I have on my Raptor are a unbelievable tire for my riding style, therefore the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 will be getting my money next go around mainly because I have faith in Maxxis and I need a tire that has a 6 ply rating.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

I have been researching the same thing with the recent purchase of our 850XP. My conditions are snow, snow, and too much snow, rocky conditions, and muddy conditions as the snow finally goes away. We had the XP out this weekend and found the same thing in the snow, very loose.

I am considering the Interco Swamplite that have been rated for all the above conditions. This is a 6-ply tire. A different thought process on size for my decision. I am looking at going with 28-9-14's all the away around. Looking for the old school "pizza cutter" look and feel. I should not experience any clearance issues and gain some height.

Overall I would say there are many good tires on the market and would say the best reviews come from those that have them on their units.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Great info and thank you for the all the responses.

I forgot to mention in my original post weight is an important factor as well.

I will take a look at the recommendations tonight.

Thanks..

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Actually the Big Horns are quite a bit lighter overall compared to the Terracrosses...
What size Bighorns 2.0 would be the best fit for an XP (front and rear)? Likely require the swaybar mod.....?

Quick Reply: New Tires 850xp