Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.
View Poll Results: Choose your recommended brand for both performance and price.
Warn
77.78%
KFI
0%
PROMARK OFFROAD (formerly Gorilla Winches)
8.33%
Other
13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Winch Recommendation-Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Recommendation-Sportsman

Hey guys and gals...
I have two sportsmans, a 2008 500EFI and a 2007 800. I am looking to put a winch on one of them, more than likely the 800 and have a few questions for your more experienced riders.

a) Would a 2500# winch be suffice, or do I need to go up to the 3000#
b) Brand. I have read to stay away from the Polaris brand winch, and hear nothing but great things about Warn. Has anyone any expereince with KFI or Promark Offroad (formerly Gorilla Winches).
c) Synthetic vs steel. I am leaning toward synthetic, but is the extra $$ worth the upgrade?
d) Intsall. Would any winch install using the "factory intalled prewiring" that Polaris totes about for thier winch? Should I attempt install myself, I am not a mechanic by any means, but I can follow instructions!

Any other helpful advice you want to pass on to an excited new guy to the sport would be awesome, absorbed, and appreciated.

Thanks friends.
Nick

Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

a) Either one of those would be fine...
b) I can only speak for Warn...I believe it's the best but I'm sure others will have their opinions...As far as the cheaper models go, some have had good luck and some haven't....Honestly I'd go with Warn...
c) Yes go synthetic....Do research on it...It's just better all around...Stronger too...
d) I'm pretty sure all the newer models are pre wired for winches...I did my Warn 2500when I bought mine back in '05 and it's a piece of cake...

Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

a) Would a 2500# winch be suffice, or do I need to go up to the 3000#

2500 would work. but depends on how much you have to spend. i paid $250 for my 3000lb warn on ebay.

b) Brand. I have read to stay away from the Polaris brand winch, and hear nothing but great things about Warn. Has anyone any expereince with KFI or Promark Offroad (formerly Gorilla Winches).

i have a warn. 2nd season on plowing and no issues. i dont do much off roading as i dont have a place to.

c) Synthetic vs steel. I am leaning toward synthetic, but is the extra $$ worth the upgrade?

there are pro and cons with both.

d) Intsall. Would any winch install using the "factory intalled prewiring" that Polaris totes about for thier winch? Should I attempt install myself, I am not a mechanic by any means, but I can follow instructions!

any winch would work with the factory wiring. i know the 08 will have the wiring for it. just the power/ground wires from the battery to the right side front of the wheeler behind the tire by the shock tower. there is a plate where the contractor will go. i did my own install. and it be easy enough. if you need any help i could help with some pictures. but others have do it also. and would also be helpfull.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Go Warn or Ramsey or get what you pay for. A 2.5XT or a 3.0XT will be all that is needed! The XT is a synthetic rope winch and the one I highly recommend, Good stuff!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a warn 3.0(3,000 lb) if your using it on the 800. 2nd choice for myself would be the gorila. either one of those 2 should be able to use the pre installed harness onthe bike. yes you should be able to install it your self. just make sure all connections are correct and no wires will be rubber and chaffed to expose a wire to short out.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 3 Warn XT30's, 1 Warn RT2500 and 3 Gorillas. The Warns have worked perfect. The reason for 3 Gorillas is because they kept on breaking and the company kept on sending me replacements. After the 3rd unit I threw them in the garbage.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Reading recent posts and bad mouthing polaris winches all the time makes me want to go out and buy something different.I have the polaris 3500 do not abuse it or overheat it! It came with a polaris warranty! I use this winch every weekend and as of today no problems winching myself out. I do not yank on the rope to pull others out ether.So why cant all the other guys who own what I do speak up?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by gaspumpcity
Reading recent posts and bad mouthing Polaris winches all the time makes me want to go out and buy something different.I have the Polaris 3500 do not abuse it or overheat it! It came with a Polaris warranty! I use this winch every weekend and as of today no problems winching myself out. I do not yank on the rope to pull others out ether.So why cant all the other guys who own what I do speak up?
Polaris winch here only used it one season to pull out a Can am/BPR 800 LTD He should of bought a Sportsman 800!! LOL Hey does anybody know where I can get the sleave to protect the synthic cable?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Im talking about the 3500# polaris winch that came on my 2010 xp!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Itsfit, Do a search on Google for "Chafe Guard" & you will find someone who sells them.

Quick Reply: Winch Recommendation-Sportsman