Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ice Cooler for storage box

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010 | 10:36 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Ice Cooler for storage box

Hi guys,

My buddy told me that he has seen people mount an Ice cooler on the rear rack for there storage in place of buying say like a polaris lock-n-ride or something has anyone done this? and if so can you post pics please?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2010 | 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I bought a big box from Walmart for around $30. It's black and has plastic hinges with a metal closure. It's been very good and I haven't seen any water inside even after a snow trip last week where we drove home in slush on the roadways. Measure your rack and see what will fit.

Old 01-07-2010 | 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Howdy badazzpred.........I have seen ATV's with big coolers on the back rack but was used for keeping goodies cold, not just for storage. The thick walls of a cooler would make it inefficient for storage use only......besides, the Lock and Ride stuff is nice.....and it fits. jmo.......NoJoke

Old 01-07-2010 | 11:36 AM
|
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=NoJoke;2882467]Howdy badazzpred.........I have seen ATV's with big coolers on the back rack but was used for keeping goodies cold, not just for storage. The thick walls of a cooler would make it inefficient for storage use only......besides, the Lock and Ride stuff is nice.....and it fits. jmo.......NoJoke[/QUOTE

Yes I agree the lock-in-ride stuff is nice, I would like to have it personally, but I cannot see paying what they want for one. Also with the cooler Idea you have the best of both worlds you can use it for dry storage and also use it for keeping things cold such as drinks and food or whatever. The cost for an extra large cooler at walmart is only $50.00 plus any hardware and silicone sealent thats needed. Now its just finding a good way to mount it properly................

Old 01-07-2010 | 11:39 AM
|
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I bought a big box from Walmart for around $30. It's black and has plastic hinges with a metal closure. It's been very good and I haven't seen any water inside even after a snow trip last week where we drove home in slush on the roadways. Measure your rack and see what will fit.

Where is it in the store you found such a box? and how long ago was this? as for the rack I have a 2008 sportsman 800 so the box can be slightly bigger than the plastic rack that does not bother me............its just mounting it properly

Old 01-07-2010 | 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

It was around the automotive and sporting goods section. It was no more than 2-3 months ago.

Old 01-07-2010 | 12:42 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
It was around the automotive and sporting goods section. It was no more than 2-3 months ago.
What kind of box is it? Is it a cooler or some other type of box?

Old 01-07-2010 | 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

Now its just finding a good way to mount it properly................[/QUOTE]

I took my existing box i had from my old Suzuki Eiger and bought Polaris's Quick Connects that include brackets with them and had the brackets modified to fit with the box onto the 550xp.
I'd imagine you could do this with whatever you wanted on your Sportsman.

Name:  brackets-1.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  7.7 KB

Name:  box2.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  box1.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  37.2 KB
Since i couldn't mount the brackets on the outside of the box and have the box as far back as possible. I put the Quick Connects inside the box.

Name:  box3-1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  pic8.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  pic6.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 01-07-2010 | 01:23 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Do you have any carpentry skills? I custom made my own front and rear boxes using 3/4 plywood,fiberglass for re-enforcement and coated them inside and out with hurculiner bedliner. Total cost about $60 for both boxes. Have had alot of interest in them from other riders. They all thought they were store bought units.I built the rear to accomadate up to a case of your prefered beverage with ice and a few other things. The front is about 2/3 the size of the rear and holds a gods plenty of tools with room to spare. Get yourself some L&R brackets and your all set.

Old 01-07-2010 | 02:03 PM
|
Pro Rider

malibu94, thanks for the pics, looks very nice fit and finish....... I will look into this

Quick Reply: Ice Cooler for storage box