Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What are the benefits from reeds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added a trail pipe, clutchkit and a KN airfilter. The dealer asked me if I wanted to upgrade my reeds I said no. I dont want to max everything out and blow an engine ... I want to pace myself on all this if you know what I mean.
Does anyone know what results I could see upgrading the reeds? Also, how long does it take to dry out a KN airfilter? Its cotton and doesnt dry fast. I followed the directions on the KN airfilter recharge kit...it says let dry naturally. I shook the water out of it for 20 minutes and let it sit another 20 minutes sprayed a layer of filter oil on it...put it in and now it runs like crap. I guess the filter has too much oil in it or its still wet. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

PaulC,

In regards to upgrading your reeds, do it. It will not hurt your engine at all. Any performance reed will work better then the stock ones. My $30 Boyesen Power Reeds gave my machine better throttle responce. Delta V-Force is very good too.

As for your K&N filter, if you put too much filter oil on a wet fiter it will hurt it's ability to suck air. When I clean mine, I wash it out with low pressure hose water. Then I let it sit out it the warm, sunny air outside or in a warm place inside until it is COMPLETELY dry. Then apply the oil until the filter has that purple color. Thats it. Too much oil is a bad thing. Good luck.

'96 Scrambler w/K&N filter & Boyesen Power Reeds

Old 02-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Boyesen reeds, at least for the blaster make it run alot cleaner over the entire band, higher and smoother revving without that "jumpy" feeling..

Old 02-25-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

The main thing the aftermarket reeds will do is improve throttle response, topend and fuel economy.
It accomplishes this by opening more quickly and sealing much more positively than your stock reeds. It is basically a better valve. By opening and shutting faster you get better acceleration. By being able to do this much faster and efficiently than the stock reed cage you also get better topend. The fuel economy comes along for ride just because of the overall better opening and shutting of the valve

Old 02-26-2001, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

Throttle response is all. Better run that motor through an entire heat cycle then do a plug check. Moisture in a two stroke ain't purty.

Old 02-26-2001, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

I have heard that the aftermarket reeds work even better with a reed spacer. Is this true and if so, just what causes the further improvement.?

Old 02-26-2001, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

I guess I didnt have it dry enough and probably put too much oil on it. You think if I take it back out and let it sit in the sun for a few hours it would fix it? Im thinking about buying another filter so I can trade it out while the other is drying. Do you clean yours at the end of each day? My mechanic at the dealer said I would have to clean it after I rode it on a daily basis.
Anyway, thanks for the input...I'll get the hang of it.