Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Best method to drill hole in plastic

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 popo HO
I installed some hand and thumb warmers on my sportsman but I'm nervous about drilling holes for the switches. I have round switches that require a 13/16 inch hole. What type of bit should I use. I originally thought I would use a spade bit since your conventional type bit usually tops out at around 1/2 inch.

Anyone else drill out round holes in their pod just under an inch in diameter?

I don't want to mess up the pod.
I used aflat spade bit to drill mine but make sure you stay level when you drill. Mine ended up just "titch" too big. Still worked but I added a little silicone to help keep the switch in place.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

knife all the way

Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default easy doesit

use a knife it will cause less damage..

Old 01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ANVIL1988
use a knife it will cause less damage..
So you use a utility knife with a fresh blade and poke the razor sharp point into the plastic, the slowly turn it back and forth until it bores its way through the pod at the right diameter? I'm guessing when you get close you keep checking until the fit is perfect.....How do you keep the hole perfectly round? Seems like a person's hand couldn't cut evenly all the way around, like a drill. Maybe I'm making more of it than necessary.....

Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have to remember that the switch or what ever your putting in has some sort of out side rim that will take a little space and hide a little imperfections. you could use a hole saw to make it as close as you can then use sanding paper to smooth it out.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

As far as a new switch, Otto is probably the best and I believe the same oem's that Polaris uses...Waterproof also...
I also wanted to add that forstener bits are made to be used on drill presses not on hand held drills...I'm not saying you couldn't try but definiteltly more accurate in a press...

Otto Engineering

John

Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
As far as a new switch, Otto is probably the best and I believe the same oem's that Polaris uses...Waterproof also...
I also wanted to add that forstener bits are made to be used on drill presses not on hand held drills...I'm not saying you couldn't try but definiteltly more accurate in a press...

Otto Engineering

John
That's a good point that I didn't mention. In either case you want to really hold on tight when drilling a hole with a hole saw or forstner bit. They can get away from you. My neighbor borrowed my 4-1/4" hole saw to put a vent in his kitchen. I told him to hold on tight with both handles on my 1/2" drill. He still came back with bloodied knuckles.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

WOW thanks for all the advice guy's. I honestly wasn't expecting this much response for a drill bit thread.
I ended up starting with a 3/4 inch spade bit for the first hole but as soon as the middle pointy part was through the plastic the bit started floating thus not staying perfectly round so I stopped imediatly.

I then drilled out the center of the hole with a regular 1/2 drill bit and then took out my dremel and blew off the dust.

Attached a small sanding drum and put it into the 1/2 inch hole and slowly went round and round until the hole looked big enough. I kept checking with the switch until the hole was big enough to slide in.

I will post some picks later but I have to say it came out looking very professional looking. The birds nest under the pod on the otherhand doesn't look too professional. There is getting to be alot of wires under their.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to clarify my last post....A forstner bit can be used on both a hand held and a drill press...But in a drill press the hole will be much more accurate...

John

Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Here are some pics of the finished job.
I went for a ride today and what a difference with the heated hand and thumb turned on.
I actually had to turn them down because it got too warm.

Attached Thumbnails Best method to drill hole in plastic-p1112194.jpg   Best method to drill hole in plastic-p1112195.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best method to drill hole in plastic