Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Best method to drill hole in plastic

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best method to drill hole in plastic

I installed some hand and thumb warmers on my sportsman but I'm nervous about drilling holes for the switches. I have round switches that require a 13/16 inch hole. What type of bit should I use. I originally thought I would use a spade bit since your conventional type bit usually tops out at around 1/2 inch.

Anyone else drill out round holes in their pod just under an inch in diameter?

I don't want to mess up the pod.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when i put my regular switches in i used a razor knife to cut mine out. they do a cleaner job. if you have a sharp wood bit that goes tosay 3/4" you could use that, and then use a knife to trim the rest. just athought.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used flat boring wood bits for round holes. Worked really well.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

My cuz who desperately WANTED to do my drill holes, was insistant to use his DREMMEL tool. Why that is a nice tool, on both occasions it left me with a nice deep scratch on the front POD housing.

Can we say Operator error? lol..lol Yea I prefer using the knife method like Stendori says!

R'

Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RticKwad
My cuz who desperately WANTED to do my drill holes, was insistant to use his DREMMEL tool. Why that is a nice tool, on both occasions it left me with a nice deep scratch on the front POD housing.

Can we say Operator error? lol..lol Yea I prefer using the knife method like Stendori says!

R'
did he at least say,"oopps" sorry.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

hello,
i do agree with the razor method as stated above but when i did my switches, all 4 of em'..lol... i used what is known as a step bit. it starts off really small at the top and gradually "steps" down into a larger size the further you drill. they vary in sizes and one of mine goes to a 1'' 3/4". i got mine from here....
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

goodluck PB500

Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I think he did and my response was, ohh so you are getting me back for crossing the wrong wires doing at night in the dark while doing your Quadavator light mod (all 3 came on in LOW BEAM and High beam only the POD light, lol..lol) so I guess he was evening out the playing game, lol..lol

R'

Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

drill as close as you can. then use either a knife, or what i have done is used a round file. but keep checking with the switch to make shure you dont go to big. i did this on my 2000 sp. but on my new one they are square holes. and there outlined on the back of the pod.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

A hole saw of the proper size will give you the cleanest hole in the plastic. It goes on a regular drill and has a small center drill bit to guide the hole saw into the right spot.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
A hole saw of the proper size will give you the cleanest hole in the plastic. It goes on a regular drill and has a small center drill bit to guide the hole saw into the right spot.
Absolutely. You'll get a clean hole that's the exact size you need. A razor knife will work...I've done it with ok results but it's not exactly the method I'd recommend. Hole saw and your done in seconds.

Quick Reply: Best method to drill hole in plastic