Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help! 500 EFI Flashing Speedometer Needle and Fuel bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! 500 EFI Flashing Speedometer Needle and Fuel bars

2007 Polaris Sportsman 500HO EFI. Digital display shows all the fuel bars (and fuel icon) blinking on and off, along with the speedometer needle flashing red. This display is the same with or without the engine running...it's always there. It does not matter whether the tank is full or empty...same indications. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, but that did not help anything. Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to point me to start troubleshooting this problem?

Many thanks for your advice!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. just guessing but sounds like the sending unit is either messed up or a wire connection issue. check the wires that run to the fuel gauge for bad connection,chaffing or what not. imo

Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 Flashing Speedometer Needle & Fuel bars

FYI, the fuel tank contains the fuel pump and the fuel gage sensor. The wire to the tank is under the front storage bin near the steering column. This is a 3-wire connector {Brown = common ground (-), Red = fuel pump power (+), Purple/White = fuel sensor (variable resistance)}.

The fuel gage resistance varies from approximately 5 ohms (empty tank) to 90 ohms (full tank)...measurement is taken from brown wire to Purple/White wire.

Hopefully this info can help others!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

My wifes 08 sportsman 500 HO EFI started doing the same thing. I was up north yesterday to work on my 700 (ignition problems). After getting no where with mine I started to check hers and the sending unit is only showing 5 ohms .It has never worked right even when new it would only read 3/4 tank when full. Has anyone taken one apart to see if they can be fixed yet. I'm not going to spend $500 for a new tank. theres got to be a diffrent way.
Thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's actually an easy job to remove the fuel pump/sending unit assembly from the fuel tank...whether you can get individual parts I don't know.... a quick call to the dealership will answer that. There is a possibility the float could be bad (gas-logged or now stuck) and just laying at the bottom of the tank. Easy check...with a empty tank, bend a wire to hook the float arm (it's about 6 - 8" long with float at the end) and lift it up...with the key on, the speedometer gage should change. You may first need to use an inspection mirror and flashlight to see the location of the float arm...it can not easily be seen in the far right hand corner of the tank. As a note, the fuel reading takes sometimes 30 seconds to respond to changes, which is normal (who wants to see the fuel level jumping around as you hit bumps).

Good fishing!
-Mike

Old 01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking that it might be fuel logged by the way it slowly became worse. I hope
that is the case anyways.You can only get the fuel level sending unit by ordering a new gas tank. Same deal as the fuel pump. Oh well.
Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

go to an automotive parts store, and show them your fuel pump. i know polaris uses the same pump as like a toyota car or something like that. think it was like a 94 or so yr. its around $100-$130 insted of $500

my fuel level sensor was acting up last yr. so i took it out and ran the arm up and down a few times. it seemd to solve my issue. also i noticed if i unplug the sensor it shuts off(makes the fuel level display dissapear) on the display.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Sportsman fuel gauge flashing/not working...The ANSWER

I have seen this problem on two Sportsman 2007-2008 X2's EFI. All the newer sportsman's will use the same system and it is caused by a saturated fuel float. Why the float gets saturated I don't know, but that's what's causing the problem. Remove the front plastic and box. Remove the air intake which covers the top of the fuel tank. The newer models have an access which will give access to the tank/fuel sending unit/fuel pump. Pull this out of the tank and you will see the float attached to the sending unit. If you want to test it put it in GAS...not water. It will float in water, but not gas. If the float doesn't rise then go to DJS Tractor LLC Fuel Gauge float D10-D19 $11.00. There you have it, no need to buy the whole assembly and the entire project will take about an hour. The gauge will respond in about 15 seconds and show the change in the level.
FUEL GAUGE FLOATS D10 THRU D19 Item # DJSFLOAT
In Stock
Price: $11.00

Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good post! I've seen this happen on older carb floats also as the float is porous and will soak up gas and not a hard plastic like it should be. OPT

Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

my 2006 500 efi is reading full all the time,
i think the float is stuck.

Quick Reply: Help! 500 EFI Flashing Speedometer Needle and Fuel bars