Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fab a rear rack for dog to ride along.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets make a gentlemans agreement. If you buy one before me, let me know how it is and I will return the same If I pick one up soon sometime this year. Sound good?

Thx buddy!

R'

Old 01-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Lets make a gentlemans agreement. If you buy one before me, let me know how it is and I will return the same If I pick one up soon sometime this year. Sound good?

Thx buddy!

R'
Sounds good...I would have already ordered one from Cabelas but they are on back order.
One thing of note is the Hitch Haul that Cabelas sells "functions with a 2" reciever" so you would probably need an adapter on the popo..I have a Koplin 2" reciever on my Can-Am,which BTW is awesome.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:33 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I built one for my dog out of 3\8 plywood and boat plugs. Sorry no pics, sold with Hawkeye. Worked really well but had to put some foam in for her to grip on to.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I made an extended box for my X2 using dowels where the lock-n-ride holes are and 2x8s to build up the sides. It's good for carrying firewood.
M, Can you shoot us a pic of that setup....sounds cool.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
What about a Hitch Haul? T
H, Only problem I see with that is Abby wouldn't like the exhaust much back there I don't know how long she'd last....gettting it from both sides on the 850. Take that basic concept and raise it up above the exhaust ends.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mongrol
I built one for my dog out of 3\8 plywood and boat plugs. Sorry no pics, sold with Hawkeye. Worked really well but had to put some foam in for her to grip on to.
Too bad, no pics Mongrol....Did you cantilever the plywood, or support the rear from the hitch somehow?

Old 01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Nothing fancy. Used some "L" brakets in the corners and it sat right on the rear where a cargo box would sit. No hitch support needed. Carrier our C/spaniel and daughters yellow lab without a problem.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

HO and RticK.....
I have that rack you guys are talking about...It's the Hitch Haul made by Masterbuilt Outdoor Products....Never had it dump a load before....Had a few deer on it...The main thing I don't like about it is it puts the weight very far back...But is very helpful if you don't put too much weight on it, or maybe I just need HD springs in the rear...Yea I want to do that anyway...Yes it is for a 2 in. receiver too...I think I screwed up just a little when making my receiver hitch though....I didn't take into consideration the angle changes when the rack has a load on it...I should have tipped the receiver tube up slightly so it would have leveled out when the rack was loaded...Anyway here's a pic...

Hitch11.jpg photo - David Kamps photos at pbase.com

John

Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
M, Can you shoot us a pic of that setup....sounds cool.
Funride, if you go into my homepage and click on the Moose on the loose in New England album you'll see a pic of the box before I painted it black. There is a picture of it with my ATV trailer behind it but it doesn't really show it too well.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
HO and RticK.....
I have that rack you guys are talking about...It's the Hitch Haul made by Masterbuilt Outdoor Products....Never had it dump a load before....Had a few deer on it...The main thing I don't like about it is it puts the weight very far back...But is very helpful if you don't put too much weight on it, or maybe I just need HD springs in the rear...Yea I want to do that anyway...Yes it is for a 2 in. receiver too...I think I screwed up just a little when making my receiver hitch though....I didn't take into consideration the angle changes when the rack has a load on it...I should have tipped the receiver tube up slightly so it would have leveled out when the rack was loaded...Anyway here's a pic...

Hitch11.jpg photo - David Kamps photos at pbase.com

John
Yep that's it,thanks for the info! I'm not too worried about the rear end sag with the 2up machine....I'd have to have a retarded load on the rack to sag it very much.

Quick Reply: Fab a rear rack for dog to ride along.