Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fab a rear rack for dog to ride along.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fab a rear rack for dog to ride along.

I know, sounds stupid on the surface, but I'd like to fab a rear rack with lock/ride connections that allows for a platform for my GSP to ride along in the winter (XP). There are some sections of the trail that I don't want her running alongside, or in front of the machine with snowmobiles ripping around corners. However, there are big open areas where she can run around further down the trail that I'd like to get her safely to.

What are you ideas for a platform I could staple carpet to? She weighs about 65lbs. Would be good if it had a short back to keep her on during acceleration. She can jump up the foot wells, onto the seat and across to the platform. Would something like this be best supported by the trailer hitch, or just cantilevered. All ideas welcome aside from "leave the dog at home" -Maybe somebody has already made something similar I could modify.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

ATV DOG CARRIER - ATV pet carrier dog seat

If you want to buy one or go with this idea here is a link

Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You can get boat plugs cheaper than buying the Polaris lock-n-ride mechanisms. Some can be taken apart so you can wedge a plate of material between the rubber expansion part and the locking mechanism. (Usually a turn key or a latch) I'm not sure what size to get as I can be forgetful at times. It's either 7/8" or 1". I'd use a metal plate and measure where you need to put the holes. You can attach a wood box buy predrilling the metal and screwing together from underneath the plate. I'd use aluminum.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

My first thoughts were, MAN having a X2 with its cargo box would be really nice as I understand they have box and even rail accessories to them. I just wish we could get a similar X3 or ATP cargo box to fit our standard racks for more surface area load in having a more like truck bed utility for certain needs.

Has anyone fab'd an older ATP cargo box to more modern Sportsman racks?

Thx,

R'

Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Has anyone fab'd an older ATP cargo box to more modern Sportsman rack
I think part of the problem is the weight distribution on the shorter single-up rigs. Can't put too much weight on the a$$ end...pushing it out further with a rack behind the rear axle, or you risk possible steering, braking issues. I hear what you're saying though....standard machine needs some options for the rear.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

a buddy of mine had a rottweiler that got wise and would jump up on the back of the wheeler instead of running

He'd let him ride along

Old 01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

My first thoughts were, MAN having a X2 with its cargo box would be really nice as I understand they have box and even rail accessories to them. I just wish we could get a similar X3 or ATP cargo box to fit our standard racks for more surface area load in having a more like truck bed utility for certain needs.

Has anyone fab'd an older ATP cargo box to more modern Sportsman racks?

Thx,

R'
R, most of the framework of the ATP and X2 boxes is compatible but the box itself is different on the rails and the dumping mechanism. You can take an ATP bed extender and make it fit an X2 and the new X2 extender will fit the ATP but the rails are different and the box width is wider on the X2. I made an extended box for my X2 using dowels where the lock-n-ride holes are and 2x8s to build up the sides. It's good for carrying firewood. I also bought the tie down rails for an X2 and installed them in the bed of the ATP. Only had to drill one hole per side. The D-rings in the bed of the ATP are pretty fragile for rough trails. I had to replace a bunch of them.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

What about a Hitch Haul? That way you can keep your rack space. Fab up a carpeted wood floor and back, Turn up the rear shocks and you should be good?

Old 01-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

HO,

Not sure if you or others have that but I really wanted that for this hunting season. I read up on those things on-line reviews on Sportsmanguide, Basspro and Cabelas. All these different reviews say that product is very unsecure from side to side tippin over its load while riding. Not sure why? Maybe a cross brace design from the rack to the hitch bar would solve that problem? Don't know, what is everyone's else take on that product from exp. still interested in one for myself if there is a similar one that would serve its intended purpose.

Cheers,

R'

Old 01-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

HO,

Not sure if you or others have that but I really wanted that for this hunting season. I read up on those things on-line reviews on Sportsmanguide, Basspro and Cabelas. All these different reviews say that product is very unsecure from side to side. Not sure why? Maybe a cross brace design from the rack to the hitch bar would solve that problem? Don't know, what is everyone's else take on that product from exp. still interested in one for myself if there is a similar one that would serve its intended purpose.

Cheers,

R'

I don't have one but I am going to get one. I too have read the reviews..seems like there may be 2 different manufactures out there,one being more stable than the other. With the better of the 2 makes it seems like the main complaint is it being loose in the reciever hitch causing it to wobble around.
Wouldn't matter much to me,for what I would use it for I would stabilize it with a small ratchet strap running around the grab bar and to each side anyway so all the load would not be on the hitch.

Quick Reply: Fab a rear rack for dog to ride along.