Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xp binding up

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xp binding up

Not sure best way to describe this problem sometimes(only happened twice in 450 miles) after I select 4x4 and then go to two wheel drive the machine feel like its shuttering when I drive forward in two drive. I have stopped switched to 4x4 then back to two drive then I start out again and it feels like its binding sort of like when you drive an older pickup in four wheel on black top(by the way makes no difference if I m on snow or gravel when the binding happens) Has anyone here with a 2010 850 XP experience this YET.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Range Rover

I had something like that happen with mine. It was a front brake locking up. I had to go in reverse to free it up. It made the bike feel like it was not handling properly and crabbing like a 4 wheel drive on pavement. It still wanted to go but you could see the track on the gravel road.
Dave

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

I thought the same thing about the brakes dragging but I jacked the machine up and turned each wheel hoping to find a dragging brake I did not find any dragging brakes plus the rotors where cool to touch. Anyone know if the roller clutch could cause this or the ADC it doesn't matter if Im going straight forward or turning it will still feel like its in four wheel drive on black top shuttering if thats makes any sense.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Once in a great while my magnum will act somthing like your describing. kinda like the 4x4 is not disengaging. In the few times it has done it, I've always stopped and then backed up about 5 feet and poof it was gone? I figured it was just somthing hanging up for a second. Who knows?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider

On the older bikes it was one hub not disengaging, the newer ones have the hilliard clutch in the front diff, havent seen this since they started.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 AM

yah that's right. I always forget that the newer rides really don't have hubs. (I'm still a little old school)

Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Man, I was really hoping all these issues were gone with the knuckes etc. with recalls. Any chance yours and a few others or just the odd *****? I think definately now IF I go XP, I will have to wait for the 2011.

Regards,

R'

Trending Topics

Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Man, I was really hoping all these issues were gone with the knuckes etc. with recalls. Any chance yours and a few others or just the odd *****? I think definately now IF I go XP, I will have to wait for the 2011.

Regards,

R'
Big ditto, I was all set to buy an xp back this Dec. And construction around here has all but stopped so I'm holding on to what I got for a while. Hopefully the issues are gone next year or it'll be a standard sportsman for me.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

This can happen with most polaris. If you roll forward and give it throttle when in reverse it locks things up. To unlock, simply back up without spinning or rolling forward, and change to a forward gear. There is a thread in the stickys about this.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

You know I waited till 2010 before buying hoping polaris would learn from the 09 problems thus update to better parts to the 2010 models.I now believe whatever we buy now is just a some of parts good parts bad parts with a goal of selling and not perfecting. Do not get me wrong big brother! Polaris IMO makes a fine ride all I want is what I paid for and not lip service from the Dealers because of my three only problems I have had. Eps is on hold and the binding problem has them thinking it is me. So Im going to do my maintenance,drive it hard,then move on to better things when the warranty runs out hopefully staying with polaris.

Quick Reply: Xp binding up