Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

IMPT - REDUCE EMISSIONS ON ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All . . .

About 2 yrs ago I heard of an inventor here in Newfoundland Canada that developed a catalytic muffler for small engines that drastically reduced emissions of 2 and 4 stroke motors. I managed to track him down today and we had a chat.

Apparently he has had the design from some 15 years or so and is having a devil of a time getting the "big corporations" to buy into his product. He has sent it to Canadian federal government testing agencies and paid for some private testing as well and discovered that it reduces emissions by 80% while having no decrease in power. The unit is about 3inches in diameter and can retail for $10-$20 Canadian. The automotive version has been patented for the US. The product is linear in nature which means that it can be adapted to cars and marine engines just by making it bigger.

The reason for this notice is to get letters of support for this product. The product is not available for sale yet as it is tied up in "red tape". He said that he has tried for numerous years to get government and industry support . . . but has had no luck. The company is called Environmental Control Corporation 709-335-2233 and e-mail is glennwknight@hotmail.com.

I know that we are all environmentally conscious . . . so drop him a line so that we can see this product come to life.

Old 02-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

is this thing kind of like a small catalitic converter?? that would be a good idea to reduce emmisons and still have lots of power.

later
jon

Old 02-26-2001, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Loyal,

Good post.

If I am not mistaken the Stihl Chain saws, as well as some other small equipment that I have seen of late, have catalytic converters on them. I assume from your post that they are not from this guy, but I do believe the industry is in motion. Does this guys product do something that the others don't?

DJ in Ottawa

Old 02-27-2001, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

The product this guy has is his own design. He said that it works on a different principle then current catalytic converter design. I have yet to see the unit.

He said that a running 2 stroke puts out as much "bad air" (my words) as 100 cars. Thats a pretty dirty machine. With his add-on it would reduce emmissions by 80%.

I did a quick scan of the net last night and could not find any aftermarket small engine catalytic concerters. If there there was one I would be first up with my VISA.

Stil does make a chain saw for california (Model 0018C) with a catelytic converter. I'm thinking about contacting the local dealer to see how much the replacement part is, but I have some reservations about putting it on a machine with 378cc when it was made for a 30cc.