Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch headache--Any ideas?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch headache--Any ideas?????

Hi all, been awhile that I have been on here, working alot, but here is the problem,
I was riding here while back and just noticed that my 02 Sportsman 500 Ho started creeping in gear, long story short, I have replaced Both drive and driven clutchs, new belt, bought the alignment tool for EBS, checked all mounts measured the distance between the 2 clutchs and was in specs with the book, but I tried moving the motor everywhich way and shimed and took shims out from the driven clutch, still creeping, what im I missing, never been wrecked(which is a 1st for me) I have always took care or this one due to cost so much lol. But no matter what I do it still creeping, I have idled it to the point where it barly runs and still moving, the videos I have seen show the driven clutch not turning at idle and out of gear. but mine turns at a good pace, with it running and all the mounts loose I have even tried moving the motor with it running and tried adjusting but nothing I do will make it stop. The thing that gets me is it started during a normal ride and I hadnt done nothing out of the normal. Any thoughts?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Also I have had the front mount off and inspected it, it is good , no cracks or brakes, the upper on looks good and the 2 lower backs are not broke either.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

the new belt correct length? width?
Is the belt riding at about the same height on the driven NEW clutch as compared to the OLD clutch. you may have to shim out .
Sounds almost like the front clutch is not right.(spring and weights same?)
idling about 1200-1400
The driven pulley has to spin alittle ,to keep things moving inside the transmission,in order to able to shift from one gear to the next.
Does it creep in nuetral? reverse?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it does not have too move for proper shifting or least mine never did. the main reason the bike creeps is bad ebs bushing or fiber washers in the clutch. did you buy a brand new clutch and put it on? i had a creeping issue w/ my 02' 500 and i fixed it by replacing the belt w/ a 700 top cog belt (this was a few yrs ago) as mine shrunk water and heat exposure. sounds like you have did the proper checks for a creeping issue. make sure the belt is on in the right direction as well.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I even tried the old belt and new both are Polaris belts, both the correct length, both clutchs are brand new from polaris,I went and spent all that money hoping to stop it, I have shimed and shimed and tried all the shims, the thing is with the mounts loose i can move the motor around and can see the belt defection change with the motor running and it is always creeping. I know the spring isnt it I have changed it as well

Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is a mystery for sure. alignment is all i can think of then??

Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you checked everything. Only think i can think if is the belt to sheave clearance. If is to tight it wont let the primary clutch full disengage. Usually more of a problem on the Polaris snowmobiles. If you slide the belt to one side or the other there should be a small gap between the belt and the clutch sheave. If there isn't it will keep the clutch engaged and cause you the above issues. I would think you old belt should have been worn skinny and would have been better then the new one.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Well there is a very small gap on the front clutch clutch and belt on one side, I have tried shiming the 2nd clutch to move the belt for this but any way I move it doesnt affect the problem, I am about to go nuts on this. I have had it down for over a week and spent about 8 hrs on this with no luck, Can anyone tell me for sure that the secondary clutch should be turning or not turning at idle with an EBS system?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

When all else fails....Take her 2 the shop

Old 02-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shop idea

The problem with taking her to the shop is there is none close and the closeset one has been bought out by a guy that I have delt with before and they cant fix crap and they charge out the butt, One good story I will tell is my friend sent his there and they told him that he needed a new carb and $500 in parts and labor, he went and got it and I put a new o-ring in the cut off and fixed the problem the carb was in good shape and they never took it apart, he was out .07 on o-ring and I got a meal out of it. So really I be better off trying to fix it, I hate to drive 1 hr to take it to him and spend who knows what and still be right where I am now.
I have found one spot with the motor twisted at the front mount and it helps but the alignment is way off, do I go with that and risk wearing the clutchs or keep on? I took the motor out of the mount holes and tried to pull the mounts to see if they where broke and they are good.

Quick Reply: Clutch headache--Any ideas?????