Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HIGHOCTANE Sway bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIGHOCTANE Sway bar ?

Thanks for the great write up and Pic's. I started with 26" outside to outside measurement at the widest point . Cranked it down to 24" and it springs back to 25 3/4". Did you take any compression measurement as to what it took to get it to stay at the 24 3/4 OS to OS in your pic? I'm running the 27-11-14 XTR's.

Thanks Bill

Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lovmudd
Thanks for the great write up and Pic's. I started with 26" outside to outside measurement at the widest point . Cranked it down to 24" and it springs back to 25 3/4". Did you take any compression measurement as to what it took to get it to stay at the 24 3/4 OS to OS in your pic? I'm running the 27-11-14 XTR's.

Thanks Bill
No,pics of that sorry.
I think that pic was of a center of the hole measurement...ie center of one hole to center of the other...but to be honest I can't recall...should have taken some notes. But what I did was do it with the tires you want to clear installed..bend it a little and check clearance and repeat until you get the clearance you want. Something I did as well was to get the strap nice and tight and leave it like that for a while..if you are in no hurry try cranking it down to 24 and leave it over night.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

When you get it compressed smack the metal a few times with a hammer and it will "relieve the stress" so it wont spring back as much when you release the strap.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help. I got er done. I used a pipe bar clamp at first. It worked, but it didn't have the kind of clamping power needed. I switched and used a ratching strap I use for hauling cars. That bent it like butter. Of course I over did it and had to remove the muffler and shield to get it back into place. Gave myself some choice words on that one.

An interesting note on this, is that the left tire was more offset to the inside than the right one. As a result I had to bend the left bar in more than then I had to bend the ride side, because of the tire fit. The difference was about 5/8 of an inch, so it was significant.

It took me some time to figure the tire offset thing out by taking the tires off and measuring with straight edges and checking offsets. The right tire was more offset to the outside, as I'm sure they used the same mold. Never ran into this before but then again I never had to worry about this kind of clearence before. Never bothered to check the front ones to see if they had an offset also.

Thanks again for the help,
Bill