Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stationary plow and dead battery (Got snow?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stationary plow and dead battery (Got snow?)

Well just when I was getting broken in from the last significant snow fall the week of Christmas over a foot of snow. We are forcasted with 6-7 inches tonight and the real humdinger moving up from the South for the weekend could look like a doozie!

Here my plow sits and my battery is DEAD! 2yrs old and jumped started a few times in the fall and back on Christmas. Its deader than a door nail. So here it goes, what you all think, new battery time? (looking like it!)

Suggestions on replacement and approx. cost? I want to plow some snow!

Thanks all,

R'

Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default battery

Check the acid in your battery using your wench a lot takes a lot out of your battery. I thought mine was bad too I put water in it and it charged back up

Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Well just when I was getting broken in from the last significant snow fall the week of Christmas over a foot of snow. We are forcasted with 6-7 inches tonight and the real humdinger moving up from the South for the weekend could look like a doozie!

Here my plow sits and my battery is DEAD! 2yrs old and jumped started a few times in the fall and back on Christmas. Its deader than a door nail. So here it goes, what you all think, new battery time? (looking like it!)

Suggestions on replacement and approx. cost? I want to plow some snow!

Thanks all,

R'
I would trickle charge the battery and then load test it before buying another one, you may find its salvageable.

When you get this one in top shape or get another one make sure you buy a battery tender. If you expect your machine to start up after setting awhile these are great insurance.....keeps your battery topped off so you dont have such a problem. Ive got something like 14 machines in my garage.....every single one has its own tender hanging from the ceiling and a quick connect on the machine....when you park it you plug it.....no starts dont happen to me (because of a battery anyways).

Also seems like it makes my batteries last longer - the other day I finally replaced a 1999 dated battery in my 1980 KZ1000 street bike.....thats 10+ years out of a battery.....and it was a cheap battery at that - got my $40 out of that brick. It still started the bike no problem....cause it was on the tender. Occasionally I will unplug a machine, let it set for 3 to 5 days and THEN try to start it....thats how I tell if a battery need replaced, no start = battery replacement. The tender does a good enough job that rarely will a battery NOT start a machine, even if its bad.....so this is how I make sure I dont park somewhere overnight on a trip and end up push starting a bike or quad.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dfreelang
Check the acid in your battery using your wench a lot takes a lot out of your battery. I thought mine was bad too I put water in it and it charged back up
it's a sealed battery. R, i think my battery kicked the bucket as well last fall as i went to start it and it was the same (dead as a door nail lol) as yours. will your battery take a charge? if so charge it up and then have it load tested at an auto parts store beofre you buy another battery. a few have bought those oddesy battiers and like them but expensive.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Speaking of batterys, A few years ago I bought an energizer brand battery some where (damned if I could remember where) it's been outstanding! 3yrs and holding. I've never seen another atv battery with the bunny again. Does someone else make batts. for them and they just slap the bunny sticker on it?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

I wanna say about $80-$100 bucks. Its been a couple of years.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Another thing that helps the battery a bit when winching is to rev the engine a little bit. Provides a little more charging to the battery. I've used this method when winching out buddies or moving downed trees, etc. Both our original Polaris batteries are doing well. 05 and 06.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

I have the Odyssey PC925L in mine...Great battery but expensive...If you do get one make sure you get the "L" because just the PC925 has the terminals on the wrongs sides, don't ask how I found that out....lol...And there isn't enough slack in cables to make it work...

John

Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea well I thought my suspicions were right as you attest to! "Hey mamma, I need a $100 bucks!"..lol...lol

Keep ya's posted!

Thx,

R'

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Some guys have great luck with Wallyworld batteries...I don't know the best thing to do...Everyone has different opinions when it comes to batteries...Just like winches, Some hate the cheaper models, some have had great luck...Ya know?...If you want the Odyssey you'll need more than $100 though....I'm sure some guys will say waste of money but to each his own...Good luck "R"...

John

Quick Reply: Stationary plow and dead battery (Got snow?)