Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Does Polaris make a true 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ does not sound like "limited slip" sounds like a locker. Look at detroit true track lockers. They are an auto locker. One wheel will slip about 1/8th of a turn then lock. Basicaly it will not allow any one wheel to spin slower than another while under power. However one can "ratchet" forward such as while turning. It will basicaly power the inner wheel while letting the outer freewheel.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a true locker is when there is no slip and both wheels are enagaged all the time. the good thing about awd vs a true 4x4(which again is when both front and rear ensa have lockers to have locked all 4 wheels in w/ no slippage)is the awd when turning and 4x4 is not needed it wont be dragging the wheels around corners. try putting your 4x4 locked in on payment and turn a corner and listening to the tires squeel and feel the hard steering grip as well. awd, you don't have that.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jc052685
The term four-wheel drive describes truck-like vehicles that may allow the driver to manually switch (sometimes with an automatic option) between two-wheel drive mode (if available) for streets and four-wheel drive mode for low traction conditions such as ice, mud, snow, slippery surfaces, or loose gravel.

All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without damaging the differentials, although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle. AWD can be used on dry pavement because it employs a center differential, which allows each axle to rotate at a different speed. ("Full-Time" 4WD can be disengaged and the center differential can be locked, essentially turning it into regular 4WD. On the other hand, AWD cannot be disengaged and differentials cannot be locked.) This eliminates driveline binding, wheel hop, and other driveline issues associated with the use of 4WD on dry pavement. For vehicles with more than four wheels, AWD means all wheels drive the vehicle, to varying degrees of engagement, while 4WD means only four of the wheels drive the vehicle continuously. For example, an AWD vehicle with six wheels is often described as a 6x6, the M35 2-1/2 ton cargo truck being one of the best-known examples (dual wheels on the rear axles are not counted as additional drive wheels).
That clears it up. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by jc052685
^^^ does not sound like "limited slip" sounds like a locker. Look at detroit true track lockers. They are an auto locker. One wheel will slip about 1/8th of a turn then lock. Basicaly it will not allow any one wheel to spin slower than another while under power. However one can "ratchet" forward such as while turning. It will basicaly power the inner wheel while letting the outer freewheel.
Ya that is prob a better name to call it I guess tho I have never seen a "locker" in a t-case before. Only clutch packs or mini torque converters that act like a locker (Grand Cherokee Quadra track systems)

Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by stendori
a true locker is when there is no slip and both wheels are enagaged all the time. the good thing about awd vs a true 4x4(which again is when both front and rear ensa have lockers to have locked all 4 wheels in w/ no slippage)is the awd when turning and 4x4 is not needed it wont be dragging the wheels around corners. try putting your 4x4 locked in on payment and turn a corner and listening to the tires squeel and feel the hard steering grip as well. awd, you don't have that.
This is the same system the Yamaha Grizz uses as you prob know.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Ok you got me all fixed now. Wranglers you know the last real 4x4's next to the Power wagon If you have a Jeep with AWD on it it is not a Jeep it is what we mechanics refer to as a "Mall Crawlers".
Well, my wife drives it most of the time (I have a company truck and my old faithful S-10) so it does get to the malls pretty regularly- LOL. I believe Jeep refers to it as Commandtrac. It's seamless, and it's the one thing that really works well on that POS. You cannot spin that truck out on snow. Or Ice. Turn the system off and it will do donuts in it's own tire tracks. Oh, and it does say 4X4 on the tailgate.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 AM
DCT
Banned

Yep, I bet the guys with trucks, jeeps and rock crawlers that do SERIOUS off roading use a system that is "locked" on all fours. I doubt you will see many AWD vehicles in those situations but I could be wrong.

Anyhow, again, it all depends on where you ride. For the rock, downed timber and other nasty stuff that we ride through, the locker (that stays locked) is preferred, and with the EPS, it is very manageable.

When I get on dry pavement, or or open road, I have enough sense to turn off the locker, so that's not an issue, and shouldn't be considered in anyone's evaluation.

Don't get me wrong, the Polaris AWD is a good system... I just don't trust it's reliability. One only has to read through enough Polaris forums to realized that... or experience COSTLY issues with it like I did.

As a matter of fact, the so-called non-true lockers like the new Visco Lok, and even the Honda 4WD system are good systems. Heck, we have a guy that rides with us on a Rancher, and he knows just how to tap that front brake to engage all 4 wheels very nicely. Never seen him stuck. Although, he always goes last through the worst stuff... just in case.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you could always run a spool and then you worry about it coming unlocked ever lol.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:18 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by stendori
you could always run a spool and then you worry about it coming unlocked ever lol.
LOL, I've read a lot of threads about PoPo's that like to lock in AWD and not come out when that massive "plastic roller cage" goes south... is that what you mean.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the Polaris system because it IS seamless. I put it in AWD in the rough stuff and don't worry about it. Recently climbed a rock that was 3-3 1/2 feet high and at about a 70 degree angle. Climbed up and over in one fluid motion. Buddy's Sportsman did it also. Another guys Suzuki Eiger did not. We had to push him up and over. It turns out he forgot to move the "diff lock" lever up and was in 3 or 3 1/2 wheel drive. I like not having to push the extra button or move the extra lever. And, again this is personal taste, would never want the Kawasaki BF system of holding in the little lever to get full 4wd. Just preference when it comes down to it. You've got enough to think about when you are on a steep slope and realize you didn't lock it up. Just my .02 worth.

Quick Reply: Does Polaris make a true 4x4