Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snow'd in and no where to go!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea its always bitter sweet to use that expression. FUN to PLAY but man lots of work. I have huge 5ft snow wall banks in my driveway some in the rear which I don't care about they can melt on their own, lol. But the one between me and mammas automobile I DO! Its frozen solid and well as nice as the plow is its just not cutting it, literally, lol..lol

I guess you smart guys are the ones to plow all night while it was storming to keep up on it Vs. the day after. Well lessons learned I reckon?

Cheers,

R'

Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Thx, 700! and MH so what do you NE'nders do then when you have these situations do you all NOT work either? B/C here it is more of the rare event up there I would imagine its a typical occurance with your winters. Do you all factor in missed work through the winter seasons on the the big dumps? Plows and blowers are nice but like you say you only have so many, so much time to clear and man power and places to store the snow. I would imagine its NO different from the respect but also CONSEED that you all don't sit home and close schools for less then 6"inches of snow when we do, lol..lol

Regards,

R'
The kind of storm you got might keep us out of work for a day or two. The exception was the February blizzard of 1978 where we got about 4' of snow over the space of a couple days. The government closed the state down for a week even though our roads 25 miles outside of Boston were passable after a day or two. It was fine with me. I was 15 and we had a great time building mega-snowforts and having hour long snowball fights. We usually don't close schools unless there is 8 or more inches and then it would be for only a day. We get a lot of delayed openings where they start school a couple hours later. I don't think there have been any closings this year. We just haven't had that much snow. You guys have been getting it. The tough storms up here are ice storms and late season snowstorms. We got a storm in early May one time and the trees had already started budding. Lots of broken branches and power outages. We've learned to bury telephone and electrical wires underground when we can.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Wow, now I am hearing about upward to 12"inches, yea this is monumental for our area for sure! 8" wow, how do the buses make it thru the back streets? B/c that is why I hear they close the schools is b/c of the buses. Maybe you all have more local schools in your districts? Hmmm, or really just better road crews. Can you expect your secondary streets to be cleared overnight?

Cheers,

R'

Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The streets end up getting really narrow after awhile. They get out road graders and front end loaders.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Well they are calling for 12 to 18" inches. Amazing almost the same forcast now as it was before our 3ft snow fall.

R'

Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

63 degree's this evening down here. Had my sunroof open coming back from work. Rain tonight and colder tomorrow and even a chance of "snow" by Thursday. Crazy weather!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use to like snow,After getting close to 3ft over the weekend,I had to dig myself out to go home to only dig myself in and were getting another 12 to 15 inc. on wednesday. MAN,lol my back and arms are KILLING ME, I'm ready for Summer.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just got another 6" of light, fluffy stuff here. Not the headache you have but if I have to plow my banks any higher I'll need to start using oxygen at the top!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

700-Blazin,

Good to hear from you! Sounds like Maryland weather where you are! Nothing like 16-22" now is the latest for tomorrow into Wednesday. Are we sure we live in the Mid-Atlantic? Well maybe I am now earning my true forum Alias, lol..lol. Seems like the same forcast as a few days ago, if anything like we got, we will need SNOWCATS to get out for sure! Got out today and even the main highways are one lane and its so dangerous b/c your riding in one lane and next thing you know a snow bank creeps up and pushes ya into the other lane. Lots of down trees!

Tomorrow is gonna be busy, last minute shopping for lingering food supplies, salt and sand (Steps got some pretty thick ice on it) and will run the plow IF I think it will do me anymore good?

Regards,

R'

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

RTickWad,
If you can put up some pics of the snow and what the roads look like around you.

Quick Reply: Snow'd in and no where to go!