Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 Xplorer 300 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Xplorer 300 maintenance

So over the summer I purchased an Xplorer 300 and didn't have a lot of time to do a lot of the things that really should be done to it...

Now heading into Spring I'd like to get a jump on everything and be ready for when trails and gravel pits open up around here.

The first thing I'd like to do is drain the carbs but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it short of pulling it out...is there a drain on the bottom of the carg that can be easily gotten to?

I'd also like to change the hub fluid and the transmission fluid...again I'm not familiar with how to do this though...

Might as well do an oil change as well...

Is there a maintenance book I can download or anyone with any helpful how-tos?

I have an 07 Sportsman as well, but I have always had the dealership do the work...but I want to start doing it myself...I do the work on my car...why not start doing it on my toys as well?!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your draining the carbs, you might as well as take it off to clean it. if the 3oo is a 2 stroke(like i'm pretty sure it is) there is no engine oil to change and no need to change the front mounted 2 stroke oil as it won't go bad. you could change the front end and tranny fluids and grease it up and lube the chain good. imo

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

sledracer
Use Castrol Synthetic ATF for the front hubs and the Polaris oil for the tranny. Grease it often. Pay attention to the tensions on all three chains and you will be golden. My 300 has seen 12 plus years of hard use and is still going strong!!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Haha your right, the Xplorer is a 2 stroke, my mind got crossed with what I was going to do for my Sportsman...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jetmecanic
sledracer
Use Castrol Synthetic ATF for the front hubs and the Polaris oil for the tranny. Grease it often. Pay attention to the tensions on all three chains and you will be golden. My 300 has seen 12 plus years of hard use and is still going strong!!!!

Thanks for the info! I look forward to riding it...though I mostly bought it for my wife. She doesn't like the bigger Sportsman 450...shes just a little thing so she feels much more comfortable with the 300, it being an all around smaller machine.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Hey JetMecanic,
Is the AWD button suppose to click when you push it in? I was thinking that it clicked and stated in a little bit when the AWD was engaged...When I push the button now I get nothing. It pushes in and comes back out...the AWD won't stay engaged unless I hold the damn thing in manually...I'm assuming I'll be needing a new button...

Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SledRacer112
Hey JetMecanic,
Is the AWD button suppose to click when you push it in? I was thinking that it clicked and stated in a little bit when the AWD was engaged...When I push the button now I get nothing. It pushes in and comes back out...the AWD won't stay engaged unless I hold the damn thing in manually...I'm assuming I'll be needing a new button...
thats pretty much why they did away w/ the push button and went to the slide button.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Trailblazer

sled
You are correct it should stay in. They are finicky as stendori eluded to. Im on my second one.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

jetmecanic,
Can you tell me if you've ever had problems with your 300 not starting with the push button? If yes what was wrong. I have replaced the solenoid and battery, still not success.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Trailblazer

Directhit
Yes I have, check to see if you have 12 volts to the solenoid wire when you push the switch. Mine was shot and had to replace. Just happened at once no warning. Good Luck! Any more help let me know

Quick Reply: 98 Xplorer 300 maintenance