Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

91 350L 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 350L 4x4

Hey guys, I just picked up a 91 350L 4x4 in exchange for my 97 XC 440 sled. It runs, 4x4 works, and the chassis is in good condition, but it has a few things that I have or will have questions on.

Firstly, one of the rear tires has a massive leak. The hole is too big for a tire plug. I've found out from this that the 25x12-10 tire size is rather unique and rare. Anything I can supplement it with? Are all Polaris 4 bolt patterns the same? Anyone have any take-offs they want to sell? Even heavily used ones? At this point, I'm planning on getting a tube. I don't want to invest in tires quite yet since this is just my beater.

The next most glaring issue is that the clutch seems to rub on the clutch cover. I haven't dug into this at all yet but it doesn't sound good. I'll have more details on this when I get a chance to dig into it this weekend.

Lastly (for now) is the front struts. The shocks are smoked (not a huge deal at this point), but the springs are decent. However, when you lift the front of the wheeler, there's about an inch of play in the top mounts. Bad bearings? Poor reassembly? Any ideas? Again, I haven't looked into it a ton, just figured I'd start getting some knowledge flowing in.

Thanks in advance, and here's some pics:

Name:  DSCN1612.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  186.5 KB
Name:  DSCN1613.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  178.3 KB
Name:  DSCN1614.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  176.7 KB
Name:  DSCN1615.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  181.4 KB

Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

By the way, are these shift on the fly 4x4? Can someone explain how the 4x4 works? Something with electro magnets in the front end? That would explain the wires going up to the struts.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Before you get too carried away, be sure to check the counter balancer drive oil and make sure your oil pump is operating correctly. I trashed out the whole engine because of these two items, good luck with yours.
I will ride again though.
A J

Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2006copperspecial
Before you get too carried away, be sure to check the counter balancer drive oil and make sure your oil pump is operating correctly. I trashed out the whole engine because of these two items, good luck with yours.
A J
DITTO on this.
There is a lot of 25x11x10 tires.Check ebay for used ones.TREADEPOT.com for new

Old 02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

OK I had one of these machines and had all your issues... The clutch rubbing against the cover is probably a broken motor mount....The 1" of play on the shocks on the top is probably the plastic round bushing that sits on top, if you take it apart you will probably see the broken plastic parts if they have not fallen out of there yet, on mine the threads of the shock would hit the underside of the plastic fender when you would hit bumps.....just some ideas...

Old 02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 2006copperspecial
A J
I'll check that counter balance oil tonight. How much goes in there? I found one forum that suggested only a couple tablespoons or so??

Also, looking at the schematics, there's 3 drain bolts for that oil, correct?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 02magnum500
OK I had one of these machines and had all your issues... The clutch rubbing against the cover is probably a broken motor mount....The 1" of play on the shocks on the top is probably the plastic round bushing that sits on top, if you take it apart you will probably see the broken plastic parts if they have not fallen out of there yet, on mine the threads of the shock would hit the underside of the plastic fender when you would hit bumps.....just some ideas...
The guy I bought it from said a motor mount did break at one point, but he had it repaired. If it still rubs, do I have another motor mount out, is the cover damaged, or did it tweak the clutch when the mount went out?

That plastic spacer sounds like it will be the issue....is it something I can make to repair, or does it need to be replaced? My guess is we're talking #5?

Thanks for the help. I wish I had time and it wasn't so cold so I could really start digging into this thing!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

I would look your mounts over. Some of them can be a pain to get too but you should be able to see them atleast. I think it is #5 on the drawing. It has been 10years since I did it. It is something you can do on your own though. Part shouldnt be too expensive. Better check the other side while you are at it. being on is bad the other could be close. Where in MN are you?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 02magnum500
I would look your mounts over. Some of them can be a pain to get too but you should be able to see them atleast. I think it is #5 on the drawing. It has been 10years since I did it. It is something you can do on your own though. Part shouldnt be too expensive. Better check the other side while you are at it. being on is bad the other could be close. Where in MN are you?
Yeah, both sides are bad. I know that for sure. Maybe I can make something that will work for the time being. Piece of PVC or something.

I'll look over the motor mounts too. Hopefully none of them are out.

I'm in the cities. I do most of my riding up in Pine Center, Faribault (@ the Tri-County park), and then north of Grand Rapids. I've been to a good portion of the state trails though.....Appleton, Tri-County, Soo Line South, Red Top, Pine Center, Fort Ripley, St. Croix, Nemadji, Soo Pits, and Iron Range.

You from MN as well?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Yep, SW MN. I cant take it in the city. Tried that before. LOL.

Quick Reply: 91 350L 4x4