Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris horrible in the snow PLEASE HELP IF U CAN

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by polaris man with issues
i have 3psi in front and 4psi in the rear. I also have the shocks cranked up all the way in the rear. I also have stendori's front spring spacers in the front. I would get tire chains but the problem is i plow paved drive ways wont they dig up the blacktop if it spins? also i always plow in awd and low.

~Polaris man with issues
Are you sure your AWD is working? That thing should be a tank for snow plowing, unless you are getting in snow so deep that you are getting high centered... and you shouldn't be getting in deep snow if you are plowing (correctly).

Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

/thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well had mine inthe snow today w/ my xtr;s and mine went great even in 2x4 for most of time. must be not good enough tires for the snow unless it's not going into awd.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DCT
Are you sure your AWD is working? That thing should be a tank for snow plowing, unless you are getting in snow so deep that you are getting high centered... and you shouldn't be getting in deep snow if you are plowing (correctly).
Yes my AWD is working cause when i spin in the snow, snow flys from both front and rear tires. I plowed through about 1 1/2 feet of snow. I have also plowed 2-8 inches and it was horrible in snow. What does high centered? Does this mean getting HUNG UP? Mostly i get stuck on the pave in the snow. My brother has a 05 kawasaki brute 650 and he goes exactly i went and went through no problem. is My quad HEAVYER then his? Or is it the 4wd how it dont kick in right away and that half a turn of the rear tires gets me stuck?? I REALLY DONT KNOW. Did anyone else run swamp fox tires? Also my next tire will be Maxxis Zilla. Are these good in the snow/mud? Thanks

~Polaris man with ISSUES

Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

i plow with the stock PXT tires, and mine have over 3000 miles on them!!! I plowed 14" of wet snow back in december with no problems what so ever. Another thing to look at is is stops on the bottom of your plow. A good friend of mine has a Moose Counrty plow and he didnt put the stops on the bottom of his plow and all it did was dig his blade down to the dirt. But being your plowing tar you might not have that problem

Old 02-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

High centered is when you get an obstacle like snow or a log or rock between your frame and the ground...Thus eliminating traction...Your HO is right about 715lbs. and his Brute is just over 600lbs...I'm kinda leaning towards your tires being the issue...

John

Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
High centered is when you get an obstacle like snow or a log or rock between your frame and the ground...Thus eliminating traction...Your HO is right about 715lbs. and his Brute is just over 600lbs...I'm kinda leaning towards your tires being the issue...

John
Yeah i thinks the tires are the issue with getting stuck. They are good in mud but horrible in snow. At least i know im not getting swamp fox tires again. Are the MAXXIS ZILLA tires good in snow? they are my next tire. Im short on cash right now so im gunna run my tires until they are SHOT. i can deal with it in snow winter is almost over here in pennsylvania. Also why are the sportsmans so heavy? The brute is a v-twin also. How much does a 07 arctic cat 700 efi weigh? That quad is like a tankin the snow

~Polaris man with ISSUSES

Last edited by polaris man with issues; 02-13-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: FORGOT SOMETHING:)
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
DCT
Banned

I don't know, something doesn't sound right. I was able to plow plenty of snow with my 500 HO with the stock 489 tires even with the AWD not working right. The PXT's should be even better... but who knows?

Zilla's should be fine in snow, but if it were me, and I wanted a tire for plowing and work around the farm/ranch/property I would get Bighorns or Bighorn 2.0. Unless, I would be dealing with deep mud.

My son has a 400 AC and it is indeed a tank in the snow, but no more so than my 500 was. However, with the his new Bighorns, his Cat is almost unstoppable.

My new 500 King pushes everything that either of those two pushed, even with the crappy stock tires. With Bighorns, it will be even better. Plus, when I take the plow off, it's a lot more fun to ride.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

The AC 700 EFI is just about the same as your 500HO...

John

Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

mud tires don't work in the snow and"cold" the zillas arn't much better in the snow. get a more all around tire not mud specific one

Quick Reply: Polaris horrible in the snow PLEASE HELP IF U CAN