Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris horrible in the snow PLEASE HELP IF U CAN

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris horrible in the snow PLEASE HELP IF U CAN

I have a 05 polaris sportsman 500 ho and i am wondering if anyone has had any problems in the snow. My polaris gets stuck everywhere. I took the p.x.t. tires off cause they were just crap and i put ams swamp fox tires on. They are really good in the mud but not in snow. This is only when im plowing. I have a rubber flap and markers on my plow. Could my plow be too heavy? I forgot to mention my plow isnt cleaning the driveway like it used to. I flipped the cutting edge around and everything. I have kolpin cargo bags on also about 30 lbs. I am also a big guy so anyone know what the prob is i think it is the tires but i just put them on?? p.s ( Sorry for the long posts) i like to describe everything

~Polaris Man With Issues

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Using AWD and LOW? My cuz has a SP700 and he runs stock. When we got 2 1/2 feet of snow his did pretty good but then again he didn't have the plow on his front end like I did. Check your PSI on your tires too, anything to give ya some edge for your traction.

R'

Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by polaris man with issues
I have a 05 polaris sportsman 500 ho and i am wondering if anyone has had any problems in the snow. My polaris gets stuck everywhere. I took the p.x.t. tires off cause they were just crap and i put ams swamp fox tires on. They are really good in the mud but not in snow. This is only when im plowing. I have a rubber flap and markers on my plow. Could my plow be too heavy? I forgot to mention my plow isnt cleaning the driveway like it used to. I flipped the cutting edge around and everything. I have kolpin cargo bags on also about 30 lbs. I am also a big guy so anyone know what the prob is i think it is the tires but i just put them on?? p.s ( Sorry for the long posts) i like to describe everything

~Polaris Man With Issues
Definitely could be weight distribution along with the rubber you're running. Put some sand bags on the rear and jack the pre-load in the shocks a bit if you can. Also lower the pressure a bit in the tires.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tire are a big part of it i'm sure. worse case you may to get a set of chains for it for plowing. imo

Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

i have 3psi in front and 4psi in the rear. I also have the shocks cranked up all the way in the rear. I also have stendori's front spring spacers in the front. I would get tire chains but the problem is i plow paved drive ways wont they dig up the blacktop if it spins? also i always plow in awd and low.

~Polaris man with issues

Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

chains arent a good idea on tar drives. when you spin they will more than likly leave marks. i have stock tires. 489's. no extra weight. and mine does fine. cept during the chrismas storm we had when most of it was water. also if you have alota hard packed ice on your drive it maybe cutting down on you traction. also dont take a full blade width of snow. i curntly do 17 driveways. and can do each one in about 10-30mins. average is about 15min per drive.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For snow Bighorn or TerraCross R/T tires would be your best bet. After switching from stock to my TC R/T tires I can now go places in 2wd that I need to be in 4wd with the stockers.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Funny because I really liked the PXT's in snow. Better than any stock tire I've seen in snow, as a matter of opinion.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Yea my stock PXT's are still doing a great job...So many guys hate the damn things but I've had great luck with them...

John

Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MrThor
For snow Bighorn or TerraCross R/T tires would be your best bet. After switching from stock to my TC R/T tires I can now go places in 2wd that I need to be in 4wd with the stockers.

Wow, that rig is cleaner than mine was out of the crate! Looks good Thor.

Quick Reply: Polaris horrible in the snow PLEASE HELP IF U CAN