Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 sportsman fail to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 sportsman fail to start

well as it states it will not start it cranks thats about it...I checked to see if I have any spark going and nothing..placed a 12v tester in the spark plug wire and nothing..Im guessing it is the igniton coil or the solenoid but have no idea how to test them all I have for testing is a 12 tester..just lights up is all...I know there is gas getting in there I pulled the plug and it was wet with it cleaned it placed it back in...even tryed starting fluid on it before I pulled the anything..no loose wires that I can see anywere..this is just a simple 2 stroke engine no EFI or intel computers telling it how to run and act...

Anyway to test the coil and solenoid? or any other ideas?

Crime

Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Pro Rider

try following the wiring from the left handlebar,down under the hood,there should be a black wire with a spade type connector,unplug it, this disables the kill sswitch.
also check all the connections ,make sure coil has a good ground.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Seems like we have all experianced a similar problem. Disconnecting the Black earth out wire from the CDI usually corrects this frustating problem.
probably easier to just pull of the front hood and identify the CDI and black wire pull the spade plug out and see if you get spark. Some models also isolate the starter solenoid by doing this, so you may need to bridge across the starter solenoid to see if you are getting spark.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Trailblazer

no go on any of it as far as isolate the starter solenoid I have no idea were it is or how to even do that on an ATV..gonna have to explain it to me a bit if you can pls

Crime

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

First you have to identify the CDI unit. Not sure exactly where that is on a 95 model but most likely under the front hood just under the Headlight pod.
Its a rectangular box with about a dozen wires coming off it. Not much bigger than a cigarette pack. Find the black wire and trace it to where it joins the spade connection and disconnect it. This may or may not also disconnect the starter button. If the starter doesnt turn over then go to the battery and you will see the positive cable connecting to a small solenoid (starter) just bridge across the two main terminals and the starter should turn over. It will either start or not but you will be able to see if your now getting spark. if so there is something earthing out when it shouldnt be. Most likely the kill switch on the throttle control.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

I checked and pulled all the wires in the replys..still nothing..took it to the dealer to have them look at it as much as I hate too the 2 parts I have the feeling are the cause I'm not shure how to test...thx for all the help will post what it was then

Crime