Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just purchased Scrambler 400. Few quick questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased Scrambler 400. Few quick questions...

Hello all. I just picked up a really nice 1996 Scrambler 400 4x4 on the local craigslist. The person i bought it from took it to the polaris dealer due to a lack of power and they informed him it needed a top end rebuild and a rod bearing. The quad still runs and drives, but i am going to tear it down before it is ridden any further to prevent any other damage.

I do not have any experience with this style polaris so i was wondering if there is anything i should do or look for while i have it apart? I am not sure if the crank bearing is bad, but i will find out when i get it apart. Any parts you guys reccommend using? I usually go with wiseco and have not really ever had any trouble. Should i take a look at the clutch assembly while i am in there, or even possibly a aftermarket clutch kit?

Also any idea who makes a good manual for the 96 400? I checked ebay, but was unable to find on for the 96 model. Are they the same as the other years Scrambler?

Any input would be great! Thanks and i look forward to hearing from you.

Marc

Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider

Wiseco is the way to go and they are made in u.s.a.
I wonder if it has ever had a bottom end rebuild done on it ,if not it may be time. when i rebuilt my 400 2 wheel drive ,i couldn't find a specific book for it either so i ended up buying a haynes polaris atv manual(2508),after recieving it i'm glad i did ,it has plenty of specifications and pictures as well.
You should take the clutch cover off and check the crankshaft for end-play and up&down also,any noticeable play and it's time for a bottom -end.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am still having a hard time locating the manual for this year. I found a generic Haynes polaris manual, however it is not the book number you mentioned.

I took it out for a quick ride to test the 4x4 in the snow and the temp light came on. Looks like i will have to look into that as well. The radiator is covered in dried mud so i will give it a good cleaning along with a good coolant flush. I supposed if the head gasket is leaking it will be replaced when the top end is done. As far as the bottom end i highly doubt it has been touched. It looks as if it's a low hours machine, in fact it still has the original tires on it with more than half tread. Overall it is very clean with no cracks in the plastic and all the decals/warning labels are still on it. The floorboards still have all the original paint on them with no bare metal exposed believe it or not. I just got off work this morning so i will have the weekend to tinker.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

When you get the engine apart look for cracks in the center (where the two casings meet without a gasket) of the casing, or breakouts for that matter. OEM pistons will break the skirts and squeeze the pieces between the crank weights and the engine casing (crankcase). They especially like to break between the crank area and counterbalance.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Any year 400 Scrambler manual should work mostly, except later on the scrambler added a Concentric chain set up the rest was unchanged I think.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Well when ya rebuild as it has been said go weisco, before you rip it apart, check the counter balance oil, if its white or milky that means there is either water or coolant in the bottom end, this could be a sign of a gone water pump seal, which in turn can cause the bottom end bearnings to bite the dust, best of luck, you'll love this bike, sounds like you picked up a nice one