Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

xp transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xp transmission oil

i just bought an 09 550 xp eps this is a replacement for a previous polaris my dealer told me to use xp transmission oil not agl said use new stuff i have 4 gal of amsoil chaincase anybody heard this or is he just trying to get deeper in my pockets hes a good guy but they are in it for the money thank you keep the shiney side up

Old 03-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

I would stick with the XP transmission oil on this one.

Good luck trying to get the inspection and drain plugs loose. I have yet to get them out and have tried twice, and given up, because I am affraid of striping the 8mm hex bolt. Talked to the dealer about it, and he laughed and said he uses a long breaker bar and to go ahead and give er.

I'm still leary about forcing it, as it looks to be an aluminum plug and it is really sealed in there.

Anyone else run into this on a XP?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

What I do get small brass punch flat face 1/2 and smack it with a small 1-2 # sled hammer. The aluminum plug is boss oring the plug will come right out with the allen wrench.I replace the plug too there cheap

Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by gaspumpcity
What I do get small brass punch flat face 1/2 and smack it with a small 1-2 # sled hammer. The aluminum plug is boss oring the plug will come right out with the allen wrench.I replace the plug too there cheap
How are you hitting it? Are you hitting it from the side, catching an edge, and trying to rotate it ccw or just hitting it straight on like you would with a hand impact wrench?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lovmudd
I would stick with the XP transmission oil on this one.

Good luck trying to get the inspection and drain plugs loose. I have yet to get them out and have tried twice, and given up, because I am affraid of striping the 8mm hex bolt. Talked to the dealer about it, and he laughed and said he uses a long breaker bar and to go ahead and give er.

I'm still leary about forcing it, as it looks to be an aluminum plug and it is really sealed in there.

Anyone else run into this on a XP?
Yep. Get the right sized hex wrench and give it to it. I had to use a vice grip on my hex to get enough torque. Now that I've done it once and broken the factory over-torque, it's fine.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lovmudd
How are you hitting it? Are you hitting it from the side, catching an edge, and trying to rotate it ccw or just hitting it straight on like you would with a hand impact wrench?
Smack the plug with a flat edge punch on the face of the plug!This plug is soft and will come right out.