Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broke my Glacier 1 plow.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Broke my Glacier 1 plow.

I couldn't believe it. I know it was probably my fault. Well we finally got some nice weather (50's) so I figure I would push some of the snow banks back in order to get my parking spots back. I was out there pushing away at them. Some were kinda frozez. Anyway's I was hitting them with the plow up and cutting them down. All of a sudden I notice that the plow is wobbling. I back up and the front hook/latch is laying on the ground. Hmmmm. I dropped the plow and began looking at the spot where the hook broke off. Now this hook holds the whole plow to the quad. They had welded it on to the mounting plate. Instead of welding the whole thing they just welded the four corners. Propped it back on and put a nice bead down the sides. Should last forever now.

Another thing I noticed is that the cutting blade is worn down to the plow already. This thing is new and I was using the feet most of the winter. I'll have to look for a better quality blade over the summer.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can flip the blade and get some more use out of it and I think popo offers a heavy duty one. Best bet is to get some thicker steel and make your own which will help keep the plow down in the heavier stuff. I remember making one years ago on my 02 700. Used the old blade as a template to drill the mounting holes.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too bad you werent close to me or i would weld it back on for ya.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Trailblazer

What exactly was it that broke? I have the Glacier 1 plow and frame. I am trying to think about what you are explaining. You mean the piece that latches onto the front of the mount plate that latches into place when you raise the blade when initially connecting it? I heard something crack one time plowing and i couldnt find anything broke...but it sounded like a weld breaking when it happened...i was doing the same thing. Getting a little run with the blade up...

Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by switzomatic
You can flip the blade and get some more use out of it and I think popo offers a heavy duty one. Best bet is to get some thicker steel and make your own which will help keep the plow down in the heavier stuff. I remember making one years ago on my 02 700. Used the old blade as a template to drill the mounting holes.
Yeah, I have the heavy duty one from popo. It lasts longer on one side than the standard lasts on both. If you make your own use a square punch so you can use the factory bolts and easily put on and remove with one wrench instead of two.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

dmtaylor64--- The handle with the pin for mounting.. Look at your welds. Mine was only welded on the corners. It was the welds that broke the the metal itself.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation Broke my Polaris Glacier II HD plow

After using my new Glacier II HD plow for just a few hours plowing a maximum of 18" of snow, I found the two lower plow frame arms bent upward. They are just thin wall tubular steel bent at a 45 degree angle to hold the horizontal plow platform. Pushing against these arms as designed, just cannot work. Polaris has no way a customer can contact the factory or designer and force the customer to contact the dealer. The dealer also cannot seem to address the issue with the company. Our wonderful dealer fixed it by welding braces after straightening the bends back to close where they were originally. Polaris refused to cover the cost, even though the unit was 5 months old and not abused.

I also noticed the cutting edge is wearing after little use.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by rancher1
After using my new Glacier II HD plow for just a few hours plowing a maximum of 18" of snow, I found the two lower plow frame arms bent upward. They are just thin wall tubular steel bent at a 45 degree angle to hold the horizontal plow platform. Pushing against these arms as designed, just cannot work. Polaris has no way a customer can contact the factory or designer and force the customer to contact the dealer. The dealer also cannot seem to address the issue with the company. Our wonderful dealer fixed it by welding braces after straightening the bends back to close where they were originally. Polaris refused to cover the cost, even though the unit was 5 months old and not abused.

I also noticed the cutting edge is wearing after little use.
I have heard quite a few problems with the Glacier II not being heavy/sturdy enough. Thats why i went with the Glacier I. I couldnt be happier with mine really. 2 years old with no problems that have show yet. Yes the cutting edges wear quickly, but thats an easy fix.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default glacier 1 plow system

my buddy has a glacier 1 plow system also has a 2003 330 polaris magnum 4x4 he need the mounts where can we find them

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

If you decide to make your own cutting edge buy hardened steel or cutting edge steel it is a lot harder than mild steel and will last a lot longer. That is what I do for my truck plow.