Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 sportsman 700 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sportsman 700 problems

Need help before I mess it up even more please.
Ignition problems turns over fine but there is no spark.
Already checked the ETC switch its fine. Checked the exciter brown and yellow wires no voltage. Went and pulled the flywheel So I can check the wires for continuity but instead I damaged the threads for the crank. I chased the threads with a rethreader but didn't realize the threader was cutting the threads to thin. Now I do not think there's enough material there to pull the flywheel back on. I am a pretty good welder so I am thinking of tacking on a couple of small welds so I don't cause much heat and cutting new threads using whats left as a guide. Can anyone see any issues that I should watch out for doing this? Or should I cut see if theres enough to pull it back on first?

Second back to the no spark issue If its not the wires going from the stater Or the windings them self what else could it be?
I'm hopping its the stator coil myself since I wind coils for a living anyways.

How does the pick up coil work? Is it basically a magnetic switch? I'm just asking since I could not get any continuity threw it with or without passing a metal washer under it.

Any thing else I should check while I have the flywheel off. I don't really want to try putting it back on till its fixed.

Oh I did notice the the date on the stater is 7 months newer than the build date for the quad not that that really means anything.

Thanks in advance for your help
Russ

Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You still have the Ducati ignition system which has been changed to a Kokusan system if you have to replace the stator. Check the other posts on the early 600-700 machines about this ignition system. Its notorious for going out. OPT

Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

i can offer a little my 2003 sportsman 600 had no spark. after 3mouths of trying to find the problem i found a new ign kit #2202306 i ordered it about jan. from polaris parts. it has been on back order 4 times. it was promised to be shipped march 18. it almost makes me want to ride a yamaha

Old 03-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I just figured out what happened with the threads. I mistakenly thought that the threads were m14x1.5 and chased them as such ,when the threads are actually m14x1.25 . So now I'm wondering if you think I would be better of using a high speed steel die or a carbon steel die for cutting new threads on crank after I weld it up?

Thanks Russ