Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

question about slow tire leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about slow tire leaks

Not long after I bought my new quad I noticed the front tires will slowly lose their air over a period several weeks. Faster in the winter. I am guessing they are leaking from the rim as I can find no signs of of punctures anywhere, and it happens so slowly. This has been ongoing for about 4 years now. I only have 900 miles on the unit and the tires are still in really good shape (Goodyears). I was considering removing the rims/tires and bringing them to a tire shop to see if they can figure out the problem but would anyone care to suggest something I can do myself? Is there a product I can feed thru the valve stem that would seal them up?
Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Highlifter makes the best tire slime out there. You can also buy bead sealer from any auto parts store.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya this is an on going problem i have had myself and i have used slime(which i do like for the most part)but noticed that for rim/tire seal lweaks it doesnt work as good and inthe winter i think the slime freezes as mine doesnt hold the air after sitting for long periods. i would be tempered to take them to a shop and rebreak them down and sel them w/ a good rim sealer instead. imo.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider

what i did to mine was wd-40 the beads with no air in them over night turning them over(maybe armor-all will work also) in a warm room..........then i over-inflated them (never past the max the tire has on them, the shrimplites are 7psi while installing)for an hour,the tires are like a rock,6ply but it worked on both and they been holding their own for over a year,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

you will be better off to find the leak and have that area repaired ,then put the slime in the tire ,then take it for a short ride ,then you should be pretty much leak-free.
Bead/rim and valve stem leak on these low pressure tires are a common problem. if you have to only add air once a month ,consider yourself lucky

Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

well, I had one of my XTR's that would leak slowly, and it was the bead leaking, so I broke it down and put bead sealer on it and haven't had a lick of trouble since. Also if you do this, be sure to clean the beading surface on both the tire and the rim. I have a
"redneck" method I use to break down tires, I just get a small chunk of 2X4" or whatever, place it on your tire like your making a ramp, and then take your truck, and drive slowly up the board till it breaks the bead, you just have to be careful with the positioning of the board, so that it doesn't land on the lip of the rim and bend it

Old 03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

i use the "redneck method" as well, you can usuaaly get the beads broke loose the first, if not second try.

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its a common problem, slime helps.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I don't know if this will help but anytime I've ever change a tire on an atv/tractor/wagon/car,etc. I always use a fine wire wheel brush on the inside lips of the rim to get them shiny clean and use tire slick or dish soap to seat the beads. Never had a problem with leaking tires. Not sure if it actually helps, but it makes since to me that if the rim is clean and smooth and the rubber bead is mated flat and uniform to the rim there would be less chance for air to find a way out. (if that makes since to ya) It's always worked for me or maybe I'm just lucky with tires. IDK.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4getful2
i use the "redneck method" as well, you can usuaaly get the beads broke loose the first, if not second try.
hey now, i'm form the north where we don't have any rednecks and have been doing that for years even w/ car tires. up here we just call our people like that back yard mechanics(or maybe cheap ) lol

Quick Reply: question about slow tire leaks