Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

found out why my high beam dont work? no its not the bulb!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found out why my high beam dont work? no its not the bulb!!!

last yr my high beam worked. 1/2 the winter it worked. then it didnt. well early this winter on a warmer day. (20 or so deg) i got a bulb. but figured out its not the bulb. checked the wires and narrowed it down to a ground issue. well today i took the headlight pod off and began to look for the ground issue to fix it. well after removing the high beam houseing it didnt dawn on me for a few seconds. but the houseing and part of the harness came with. both wires had broken off almost flush with the main harness wire loom. was a piece-o-$h!t. has 1400 miles. new in sep/08 and im haveing more issues with my 08 than i did with my 2000..... my 2000 i only had the hall sensor go out and it was a warranty issue. this has been one thing after another. in the first 5monthes the battery froze, the solinoid whent out, the spring of 09 had issues with the fuel sensor. last week a rock took out my rim, brake rotor, and caliper mount, now its the high beam wires. whats next.

come on polaris. you can do better than this.... almost seems like the craftsman ship has gone south to china. shoulda kept my 2000.....

Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 AM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
come on polaris. you can do better than this.... almost seems like the craftsman ship has gone south to china. shoulda kept my 2000.....
Better watch out, the Big Bad Quad patrol will not tolerate any "brand bashing" in here. The boys in here only want to hear positive things/questions about their PoPo's and how great they are. If you have nothing but problems with your machine... tough... you don't count, and shouldn't complain. They call it "whinning", because the money doesn't come out of their pocket. Even if it is the TRUTH, and nothing but FACTS, they still don't want to hear it... hurts their feelings.

I happen to agree with you 100%. Mine was a "you know what" too.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i understand your frustation about issues the newer ones have for. i agree i liked my 02 i had sometimes better myself that had no issues.
NOW it seems dct you cant take a hint and stop running your gums. i don't see brand bashing from chuck as he is just spouting his feeling on his own issues, where you dn't even own or like polaris according to your signature. so i think it's time you take a little time away!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
last week a rock took out my rim, brake rotor, and caliper mount, now its the high beam wires. whats next.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations and issues.

I have to ask though how is a rock taking out your rim, brake rotor, and caliper mount a Polaris issue? That is something that happened because of your riding conditions, nothing more. Last Memorial Day I had a brand new set of ITP SS212's that I cracked a rim in the mud on the first ride due to a large rock....... was that an ITP issue? No, it was caused by my conditions. Thankfully the ITP wheel had a lifetime warranty and I had a new one a few days later.

The unfortunate thing with owning toys is that eventually you have to Pay to Play, sometimes more than others. Hopefully your machine will be good to you but I really don't see these minor hiccups as quality issues. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

maybe next time, you could think about an extended warranty,it might help on the electrical stuff.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey chuck, I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Under 100 hours and about 500 miles. Alot of bad chaffing coming from that wire loom.
After I opened up the loom and fished out and extended what was left of the wires I cut out a section of the loom where alot of wires branch off the main harness.
It is a bad design.
I've seen your wiring pics, you know your stuff.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SomethingFishy
Sorry to hear about your frustrations and issues.

I have to ask though how is a rock taking out your rim, brake rotor, and caliper mount a Polaris issue? That is something that happened because of your riding conditions, nothing more. Last Memorial Day I had a brand new set of ITP SS212's that I cracked a rim in the mud on the first ride due to a large rock....... was that an ITP issue? No, it was caused by my conditions. Thankfully the ITP wheel had a lifetime warranty and I had a new one a few days later.

The unfortunate thing with owning toys is that eventually you have to Pay to Play, sometimes more than others. Hopefully your machine will be good to you but I really don't see these minor hiccups as quality issues. Good luck.
i never had this many issues with my 2000 sportsman. i never had issues with any of the wiring in that. nor did i with the rims. tho they were steel and not as big.

iv gotten stuck many times with my 2000 and never had an issue with a rock making its way into the rim. must be a freek accident. and my luck. its one thing behing my fault going though a pile of rocks and have one get into the right spot. or it just maybe a desine flaw. but either way not really blaming polaris for the rock issue. i am complaing about the cheap *** lug nuts and the high beam wire harness being in the wrong spot. that is a "QUALITY" issue. in 2000 i paid a base price of $5400 for that wheeler. my 08 i paid $400 less and it seems to built cheaper.

Originally Posted by 4getful2
maybe next time, you could think about an extended warranty,it might help on the electrical stuff.
i can see polairs saying "well thats vehicle normal wear and tear. and that wont be a warranty issue" and for the cost of the exstended warranty. it be cheaper to fix it my self and know its done right so i dont have another issue with it down the road. i can see all they would do is solder the wires right back to where they were and not move the harness to where it be at a better location.

Originally Posted by 09 popo HO
Hey chuck, I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Under 100 hours and about 500 miles. Alot of bad chaffing coming from that wire loom.
After I opened up the loom and fished out and extended what was left of the wires I cut out a section of the loom where alot of wires branch off the main harness.
It is a bad design.
I've seen your wiring pics, you know your stuff.
i know i can do it. i have no problem rewireing it. just sad you pay $5k for it, and your repairing issues with only a few hrs or miles on it that could be prevented had it been a better desine or the headlight harness been moved up about 3"s

but the last 2yrs of plowing with it and other odd jobs have almost payed for the wheeler.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain too. Do all my own maintenance on my vehicles(and everyone elses). They are not built like they used to be. It is a double-edged sword though because of the tech advances we benefit from today. Unfortunately, the quality control is not there because of outsourcing, and what we end up getting is a hit-or-miss deal. That and the fact the manufacturers are rushed to get the next greatest thing out instead of spending a little more time on r&d so a truly bulletproof product can be put out. I learned years ago from my cousin(who is certified to work on just about anything with wheels or wings) to look for potential problems on even new stuff. Bought a new truck once and he said "pop the hood and let's see what's wrong with it". Thought he was crazy(was 21 at the time) until he pointed out some wiring that had been improperly routed from the factory and a few other things that I was quick to get repaired under warranty. Sorry about my rambling. Coffee just kicked in!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

Coffee kicked in, priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my headlight. I checked the bulb first and found it to be ok that just led me down the path to troubleshoot and I found the wire. I just cut back the sheathing on the harness, exposed the wire and made a solder connection of the broken wire, sealed it, wrapped it back up and done. it took 15 mins. I just say s++t happens and moved on. There are far bigger things to be worrying about.

Eric

Quick Reply: found out why my high beam dont work? no its not the bulb!!!