Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 sprtsmn 500 no electric,dead advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 sprtsmn 500 no electric,dead advise?

I have a 2006 sportsman 500 efi and while running all electric went dead.
No display lights nothing. Battery is strong and there is power in, only on the red wire to the control module located just in front of the radiator. Of the 20 or so other wires in and out of that unit only that one is hot, there was a 7 volt reading on a yellow one that runs up to the ignition switch, but as soon as i turn the key it drops out to nothing.
Also, the head lamps had the slightest little occasional flicker the night before. but just so slight.
I did check the kill switch is in the run pos and anyway there is no power there either
I am in the jungle of Costa Rica.
Any ideas or things to test would be greatly appreciated
txs

Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you check to see if there is a inline fuse or fuseable link? is the power getting through to the solenoid? sounds like it's not getting any power up through from the battery. if you was to jump the solenoid cables to each other it should at least crank the engine to know you have plenty of battery. another thing is the ecm on certain 06' area 500's were recalled becuase they were bad and when the mod. goes it does weird things. just a thought.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

check the fuses in the fuse block and there is relays up by the ecm according to a diagram. hopefully that gives some where to start.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the support!
The power does come off the battery to the starter celenoid, goes through a fusable link and on to this control module, the one in front of the radiator which is different to the ecm below the center high beam.
I did hear that some o6 were recalled for that ecm but my vin was not,not that that means anything.
Yes the battery cranks the motor strong if jump the celenoid.
I wish I new where there should be what type of voltage where so I could determine for sure.
I just ordered the forward control module where the power goes and doesn't come out, $330 here. I just have to start somewhere. I hope to have it in a day or two.

I had 7 volts coming out of this forward control mod. and it looked like 7 at the kill switch.

I feel like you said weird things almost illogical can happen if these ecm go bad.
thanks to you guys
any ideas I am all welcoming thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

regarding fuses, I think other than the one coming right off the battery, there are none. If you can believe that.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the ones i mentioned are in a service manual for an 08' 500 so assume it would be close to yours. good luck.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Did that ATV have the Electronic Control Modules (ECM) replaces on Polaris's recall? Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard

Also check your 20A breaker they can get ripe after awhile.

Name:  100_1400.jpg
Views: 14238
Size:  42.7 KB

Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Did that ATV have the Electronic Control Modules (ECM) replaces on Polaris's recall? Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard

Also check your 20A breaker they can get ripe after awhile.

thanks, I'll look for the breaker, but i don't think there is one on mine.

I looked at the recall vins and it doesn't seem that mine is on it, but maybe you could double check for me as I see the codes they have are in mine, just not in order
2006 sportsman 500 efi vin 4XMH50A06B706695

txs

Old 03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

my 05 predator was doing the same thing and drove me crazy.It turned out to be the connector on the ignition swich (harness side),if I moved it to a certain angle I would regain power.Not sure if they have the same connector as mine ,Maybe this would help!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll re-triple check the ign switch and the harness. Txs,
but there is no power to the switch but for a 7v on the yellow wire which drops out as soon as I turn the key to on/run

Quick Reply: 2006 sprtsmn 500 no electric,dead advise?