Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do eccentrics ever run out of adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do eccentrics ever run out of adjustment?

Im trying to figure out how to replace my 3 chain system on my 400 xplorer (in another thread)... But my question here is, do those eccentrics ever need to be reset? Or do they just spin right round. IE never have to be put back in place. They will never run out of adjustment? I really dont get how those work...

Thanks guys

Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To replace the chains split them and set each eccentric to the loosest point,put chains on one at a time starting in the center then front last rear.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

whats the loosest point? Puting the eccentric closest to the motor? Is there a special way to go about getting the eccentrics at that point? IE do it while the chain is on or use a punch and hammer? On the 400's how many eccentrics are there? Where are they located? thanks for the fast response man I really apprecaite it... I hate this 3 chain system... My buddy as a front drivesahft and I envy him!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have 3 eccentrics

Old 04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

i only see 2... THe manual has a different way of doing the chains for gen II and III vs my gen IV... It doesnt look like the very front diff moves at all... I can find any bolts or bolt or nut to loosten it so I can tighten the chain... IM a little stumped on this...

Even in the manual the instructions for my xplorer do not include loostening the "B" bolt which would be the front.... Just the "A" bolts which is the eccentric atached to botht he center and front chain....

But yeah I said that in the other post... Maybe I shouldnt have made to threads that were so similar... But thanks for you help... This thing is getting under my skin... Its like working on my old old jeep i use to have..

Old 04-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yes they do run out of adjustment, they will, cam over and chain will be real loose, the front chain adjuster bolt is under the front up in a hjole, takes an 11/16 socket I believe, then use a stout puch through the front sprocket and rock machine backwards.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

where should the eccentric be? IE what is the starting point when I put the new chain on.... Right now the drivshaft part of the eccentric is straight down... Its at the lowest point I believe... Is this the propper starting point? Can somone show me a picture of where the eccentric should be / its position before the chains are put on... This way I dont run out of adjustment and I can propperly reset them...

Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bump to find the starting point of adjustment for the eccentrics... Where should they be to begin with... See above ^^^ thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Ok....you have 3 eccentrics or tighteners. Start with the center one which is right next to your right side foot well. Loosen the eccentric bolts. Insert a punch through a hole in the sprocket and into the hole in the eccentric. Now rock the machine forward. Once the eccentric/axle is spun so it's as far towards the rear of the bike as possible...that's the loosest point. Install the center chain...it should be loose at this point. Now insert the punch again and rock the bike backwards, this will tighten that eccentric/chain. Tighten so you have 1/4-1/2 of slack when you push down on it with a little force. Tighten the ecentric. Now your center chain should be set properly.

Move on to the front eccentric, do the same as above.

For the rear eccentric...do the same. Only difference is you have to move the machine backwards to loosen and forward to tighten. Before you adjust/tighten the rear...take a ratchet strap from your rear bumper down to your hitch or swing arm and bottom out the rear suspension...keep it strapped, now you can adjust the rear eccentric. Once you have the proper tension tighten down your eccentric and release the ratchet strap.

Should be good to go.

Wenty

Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

the chains are already off the vehicle... Whats the best way to move the front eccentric without the the tires on it / Chains off...

and that didnt really answer my question... Im looking to see the loosest point for the front eccentric... Mine is currently pointing strait down... Where should it be at the loosest point?

Thanks again for the response

Quick Reply: Do eccentrics ever run out of adjustment?