Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Potential hole in cylinder head? Overheating? 400l

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential hole in cylinder head? Overheating? 400l

Problem: Overheating & Waterpump weap hole leaking

I replaced all the waterpump seals, waterpump bearing and crank seals on my Polaris Big Boss 400, everything went well. Im hoping it solved my overheating problems.

Quesiton: I replaced the entire top end last year with rick ritter doing all the honing and what not. I have all OEM polaris gasket, when I was installing the head, I noticed I took a little chip out of the inside compression dome.

Since install I noticed a little smoke coming out the back, I dont know if its just because its it 2 stoke or if some 50/50 antifreeze may be coming through that little chip. Is there antifreeze behind that compression dome the ding is about inch and a half from the spark plug. (I have 130 lbs of compression).

m just wondering if I should get a new head and would this contribute to my original overheating problem if Im leaking antifreeze through the head? Took about 25 mins of plowing for the overheat light to come on. I have yet to ride it since, I installed all the new waterpump seals and gaskets.

Bled the coolant system through the head, it does spit more when you give it gas. (Saw on a post that this may mean gasket or cracked head) Just want to confirm.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

you never did say if you had bubbles in the coolant or if it was drinking coolant. You could and maybe should run a pressure test on the cooling system and see if it holds pressure,if it doesn't then take the head off or look for other leaks.
is the radiator clean fins and all ??
the fan spinning good and you can feel it pulling air?
i had a bad connection one time at my temp.sensor(at the top of the radiator)that the fan would run, but not at full speed,fixed connector now all is good

Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Welllll,

I replaced the head gasket tonight with another brand new one, Im thinking the fan is not working because I dont hear or feel it coming on at all.

How much do theses two strokes smoke?? It just looks like its smoking a little to much, especiall when you gas it, and I cant tell if its antifreeze or just two stoke smoke. Its smokes exactly the same as the last head gasket, (which was only a year old). I dont think the head gasket was leaking at all, but I replaced hoping it would solve me problems.

I checked that chip and it was just a pit, no worries about that leaking.

When I was purging the system, the bleed screw did have some air bubbles.

Any Idears?

Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

mine smoked quite a bit ,the first two tanksful ,it seems and now it's not too bad. i think after i get the oil used up ,in the oil tank ,i'll switch to sythetic,they claim to smoke less .
you could take the inspection cover off the oil pump and check that the pump is set correctly(both marks lined up at idle) also check the cable movement ,to make sure the pump isn't staying open longer than it should.
Definitely get that fan working correctly first,you don't want to burn it up and have to send rick another check.