Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Polaris Sports,an 600 Twin - will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin - will not start

I have a Sportsman 600 twin that will not start. I have replaced the coil as I thought it was spark. I replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs. The gas is not old and it looks clean. It cranks over no problem and I can sorta get it running with ether, but it will not start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Could be a carb related problem,plugs or even the carb intake boot could be damaged/torn,But if you check out these items and are they ok,possibly the Ducati stator is getting weak. This a problem on the older 600 and 700 machines. The replacement if a stator goes bad is to replace the Ducati system with a Kokusan complete ignition system. OPT

Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dukati stator?

Thanks for the reply. Where is the dukati stator located? I have replaced the ignition control system (coil) to no avail. I have not taken the carb off or apart, but I am leaning toward it being a fuel problem. The intake boot seems to be in great shape.

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Could be a carb related problem,plugs or even the carb intake boot could be damaged/torn,But if you check out these items and are they ok,possibly the Ducati stator is getting weak. This a problem on the older 600 and 700 machines. The replacement if a stator goes bad is to replace the Ducati system with a Kokusan complete ignition system. OPT

Old 04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Has it sat for quite awhile? If so the carb may need cleaned, Take the airbox out of the machine, loosen hose clamp for carb to front boot,slide car5b into space wher airbox was, put a clean rag over the tranny and you can service the carb there if your carefull not to loose any parts, otherwise remove the choke and throttle cables from carb and take it cmpletetly out., Before you remove the carb from the motor spray soe gas in the intake side of carb and see if it will run.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks!

Kerb,

I used it all winter for plowing the crazy amounts of snow we got this year and then it sat for about 4 weeks. The day it stopped running I started it up, pulled it out of the garage, it ran for about two minutes while I opened my gates to the yard and then it died. I have not been able to start it ever since. It was running very normal before it shut off.

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Has it sat for quite awhile? If so the carb may need cleaned, Take the airbox out of the machine, loosen hose clamp for carb to front boot,slide car5b into space wher airbox was, put a clean rag over the tranny and you can service the carb there if your carefull not to loose any parts, otherwise remove the choke and throttle cables from carb and take it cmpletetly out., Before you remove the carb from the motor spray soe gas in the intake side of carb and see if it will run.

Last edited by WGMitch; 04-18-2010 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Fat fingers!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

I say get all the current fuel out of it put in fresh fuel. I suspect alot of condensation (water) build up in the fuel. Sounds like it ran for 2 minutes on the fuel in the bowel and then once the watered fuel got down there.........putt, putt, putt.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks!

I will definitely drain the tank out, unfortunately the tank is full, or course.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by uncle matt
I say get all the current fuel out of it put in fresh fuel. I suspect alot of condensation (water) build up in the fuel. Sounds like it ran for 2 minutes on the fuel in the bowel and then once the watered fuel got down there.........putt, putt, putt.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

How about the fuel shutoff valve?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks...

But it is definitely not the shutoff valve.

Originally Posted by Xoned

Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Xoned
Xoned is wise in the ways of things.

Another bit of advice, if you've just sharpened your lawnmower blade and pulled until you're blue in the face without it starting, connect the sparkplug wire.....

Quick Reply: 03 Polaris Sports,an 600 Twin - will not start