Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking

New here and new to 4-wheeling. My buddy gave me a 2001 scrambler 500 2x4. He said it sat all offseason, but when i picked it up it fired right up. I ran it in my woods for a few days and then I started smelling gas realllly bad. The gas was leaking out of the vertical metal tube that is cast into the bottom of the float bowl. I thought the horizontal allen head screw was a drain so i tightened it up. still leaked, so i tightened more. Bad move ill explain later and it still leaked. Also at this time with this screw all the way in the bike would not idle at all. So i tore into the bike and took out the carb. looks as if i tightened the screw in to much and put a small crack in the bowl. Got a new one in the mail as we speak. Also it apears that this is not a drain but some sort of jet adjustment or something. there is a brass cylinder 1.5" or so long, 3/32" dia. that shares this passage in the bowl and has a small pin hole at the top in the side. jet?? I am guessing the screw has to be closed down or no fuel will flow through. Also when taking the fuel tank off i find a 1/8" tube that comes from an elbow up by the fuel fill. it looks like this was to slip onto the metal tube on the bottom of the flow bowl to prevent the leak???

questions:

1. what is the allen screw for and does it need to be open? and if it is to be open mine seams loose enough to just back in or out when the bike is running. single slugs are not the smoothest of engines. lol.
2. does that 1/8" poly tube slip onto the metal tube on the bottom of the bowl?
3. is the brass cylinder a jet, overflow, what??
4. I sprayed the snot out of the carb with cleaner and blew it out with a compressor. I really do not want to take out any jets or anything but would it be a good idea? It idled and ran great before this.

thanks for any and all help.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cant find a photo on google

I will post actual pix after work. but this is the most similar i can find right now.

the brass rod i am not sure what it is. and should fuel come out of the metal cast in tube.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails 2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking-nbvnb.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If your talking about the tube #43 ,its so you can adjust idle away from the carb by the side of the ATV,They fall apart all the time. ,Your drain is #49.

Usually when a carb leaks its because the #37 valve needle is sticking,dirty ,floats are not set level or Valve needle rubber o-ring is bad.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine was also leaking from the overflow and it turned out to be the needle valve o-ring was bad

Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default pix of the carb

so is the brass tube shown an over flow for the bowl? if so then the screw shown should be tightened down all the way to make it fuel tight? what would cause my float bowl to stay filled up? the metal tube at the bottom should not be attached to the poly tube from my tank?

I also have a rebuild kit on the way. youtube'd a rebuild and it does not look hard at all.

thanks for the help guys!

Attached Thumbnails 2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking-0420001748.jpg   2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking-0420001748a.jpg   2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking-0420001903.jpg   2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking-0420001905.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes the brass tube is the overflow for the carb and the screw should be tightened all the way as it is a drain screw for the carb, the poly tube on the top of your tank is a vent/overflow for your gas tank and should not be connected to the bottom of the carb

Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

as stated above the valve needle can be sticking,dirty , or the floats are not set level or Valve needle rubber o-ring is bad can cause the carb to overflow

Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanks Pous

Thanks for the info Pous. It sounds like the rebuild kit will take care of the issues you listed for me. Well the floats not being set level will not be cured by a rebuild kit. would'nt there have to be a structural failure in the plastic of the floats for them to not to be level? anyway thanks for the info.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

To set the float level you just bend the float gently by hand, no new part needed. Kit will give you a new needle valve and its o-ring though.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default floats

How do I bend the floats when the entire assembly is plastic?

Quick Reply: 2001 scrambler 500 carb leaking