Clutch Shims for 800 Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Shims for 800 Sportsman

Have 2006 Sportsman 800 . 2 questions :
1- Where do you get the shims?
2- where can i find a repair or Service manual?
I bought this machine a month ago- love the soft ride and the power. The belt was squealing and VERY hard to change gears. So i took it bach to the dealer and they fixed it. Month later and its back hard to shift and belt is squealing. Someone told me to get a clutch alignment tool and shims for the secondary clutch.
I would like to do the work myself- Anyone experienced with this sort of thing.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

find out what they did at the dealer to fix it. does the bike try to creep foward as well?just make sure the one bear ebs bearing is working correctly. how far above the secondary is the belt sitting and what is the belt on it now?

Old 04-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dealer told me the tapered washer was on backwards. It was ok when i picked it up after a couple of weekends it started again.
The bike does not creep forward.
Dont know the language yet on the ebs bearing { but learning}
They gave me a new belt when i bought it- I put the new belt on - the old belt was not worn at all.
Thanks for the reply!!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

Easiest way to align clutches is , remove clutch cover, start machine in nuetral and rev it up to engage and spin the clutches, shut it off and see where the belt is riding on the primary , if its toward the inside , add a spacer to the secondary, toward the outside , remove one, get it as close to center as possible, check your front motor mount, these break and let the front of engine move back and forth. Get shims from dealer.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok just got back from the dealer , mechanic said that i may have got water in the belt . The back part of the belt cover is cracked on the bottom where it seals and there is no drain plug. He took me back to see my machine. Th drive clutch is aligned but you can shake it slightly, he said they could put new bearings in but could not garantee it would fix the hard shifting . Motor mounts are ok- They dont really know what it is . So iam going to pick it up this week and tear into it my self.
I need a new back cover,
Bearings for the Drive clutch
Clutch removal tool

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

did they check the ebs bushing while it was apart?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did not ask- What are the Ebs bushings anyway?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the ebs bushing(bearing) is the one way bearing inthe middle of the primary clutch that makes the ebs work. sometimes if the bearing or the 2 fiber washers beside it goes bad it will make the bike creep ahead or even shift inot gear extremely hard.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know they had the primary clutch apart, it had permenent marker on the clutch parts. I will ask them as soon as i pick it up.
I,am probably going to need some help from you all on finding a problem.
What else do i need to tear these clutches down besides the long clutch removal tool? where do you get these from?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Stendori has you in the right direction. There are a couple of things that you will need to look at when you "tear" into your clutches. One, is you will not have the proper tools to do any extensive clutch work, and a manual is really needed. Yes, a clutch puller, SLP clutch press or similar, special C-Clip pliers, special bushing pliers, jam nut removal tool,and spider removal tool, clutch alignment tool, and clutch holding fixture are all needed to do the job correctly. As for the squealing, yes there are different diameter washers on the primary clutches which I am sure you will need to address. I would question why the dealer didn't address that for you when they have the primary clutch a part. It could be possible that your clutch is warped, you mentioned something about Water in a previous post
As for your clutch cover, there should be a Red plug in the back towards the bottom by rear wheel, if not cracked too bad, you could use some RTV silicone to repair the crack temporarily.

Quick Reply: Clutch Shims for 800 Sportsman