Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Where is my oil going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
Well I figured I'd post an update. I pulled the head and everything looks fine. Pulled the cylinder and WA LA...a bad oil seal. It was on the left side and all bent over. Replacing the pistons as a set while I have it apart and should be good to go. Figured I'd post up as it might help someone else in the future.
Are you talking about the crank flange seal on the clutch side of the case or what?? If so the case has to be split to replace since it fits in a groove on both case halves. OPT

Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Are you talking about the crank flange seal on the clutch side of the case or what?? If so the case has to be split to replace since it fits in a groove on both case halves. OPT
No, I meant the OIL RING on the left piston. Not sure why I said oil seal..

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No, I meant the OIL RING on the left piston. Not sure why I said oil seal..
WHEW!! You made it sound so casual at first! Hope you get it running again soon! OPT

Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think Wiseco started building high compression pistons for the twins, if your changing pistons be sure to get the cylinder miced to check for wear

Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Range Rover

Ok the parts are in and I have the pistons, cylinder and gasket are on her. The head gasket and valve assy is on as well. Torqued the bolts to the recommended 60-64 ft lbs. I checked them three times and each time they turn a small amount.

My question is, should I torque the head bolts until they don't move at all or is they a limit? I let it sit over night as is and will try again today. Also, any other tips before I add antifreeze and oil? Can't wait to hear her purrr again.

Any advise will be appreciated!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ok the parts are in and I have the pistons, cylinder and gasket are on her. The head gasket and valve assy is on as well. Torqued the bolts to the recommended 60-64 ft lbs. I checked them three times and each time they turn a small amount.

My question is, should I torque the head bolts until they don't move at all or is they a limit? I let it sit over night as is and will try again today. Also, any other tips before I add antifreeze and oil? Can't wait to hear her purrr again.

Any advise will be appreciated!!!
Torque EXACTLY per manual! Already have had one poster over tighten a 500 head and ruined the head gasket! That's what torque specs are for. Could be a little "head bolt"stretch as you torque.ALWAYS torque in sequence as per manual instructions,I always go back and "re torque" a second time,some times bolts will snug down a little more until torque wrench clicks as gasket and head "seats",Stop after the second time,DON'T keep on tightening,can strip threads or cause head gasket leak!. Make sure rocker arms,push rods have a little oil on them to avoid dry start up,after filling radiator leave cap off until fan cycles on and this will remove any trapped air,top off coolant and replace cap. Good luck OPT

Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Torque EXACTLY per manual! Already have had one poster over tighten a 500 head and ruined the head gasket! That's what torque specs are for. Could be a little "head bolt"stretch as you torque.ALWAYS torque in sequence as per manual instructions,I always go back and "re torque" a second time,some times bolts will snug down a little more until torque wrench clicks as gasket and head "seats",Stop after the second time,DON'T keep on tightening,can strip threads or cause head gasket leak!. Make sure rocker arms,push rods have a little oil on them to avoid dry start up,after filling radiator leave cap off until fan cycles on and this will remove any trapped air,top off coolant and replace cap. Good luck OPT
Yeah I followed the manual to a "t". I did them twice so now I feel better about it. Thanks for the help OPT, I'll let you know how this "junior mechanic" makes out.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Range Rover

Update: as I was putting the old girl back together, this dumbass was trying to put the fuel tank in the wrong way for about 15 minutes LOL. Then I fired her up and antifreeze looked to be coming from the head gasket, but it was only a hose that I had to trim (must of damaged it pulling it off). The good news, she runs great and I am no longer burning any oil. Ride her for about 40 miles last weekend and she ran great. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good feeling to repair one yourself!! Best part of my job was rebuilding engines and the satisfaction that it was done right!. Reward yourself with a cold one!! OPT

Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

have you noticed oil inside were your pull start is i was lossing oil and didnt now it and come to find out it was the crank seal i found that out when i was adjusting the valves and i needed to get top center and pull rope was coated in oil it check that to