Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sportsman 700 Twin "No Spark"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Sportsman 700 Twin "No Spark"

Hello, I'm not sure if I have posted here before, but I'm in need of any ideas about what I've discovered with this ATV......... It has a Ducati Alternator-driven CDI/Coil Ignition system. I have taken the steps of testing to this point: The manual says 34VDC for the Exciter Coil; I measure 20VDC. The Pulse/Trigger Coil measures correctly. I have tested the ETC switch, which is good adjustment-wise, and although this Exciter component value is out of spec, it's my inclination that this is still a dead CDI. I should mention I work in a small shop, and have vast experience with many vehicles, especially racing, but as we all know every day brings a new challenge. This is a big one, considering I had to wait 2 weeks for my peak reading adapter before I could start my tests. BTW, I am a Polaris owner too!

Regards, Tarzy

p,s,.....We don't have another CDI to do the "parts replacer" thing, and I prefer to use the scientific method anyhow...................

Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have ANY problem with the Ducati "coil pack" or stator,JUST replace it with the update kit #2202602! Its a Kokusan stator,flywheel,cdi,coil and reg/rectifier with adapter harnesses to fit all the 700"s. Usually if you order the coil pack,most of the time now they are back ordered! And if the stator is bad,then it supercedes to the new kit any way. Dont waste you money on any Ducati part you can find as it wont last! I've done about 6 kits now,takes about 2.5-3.0 hrs to install and then ignition problems will be a thing of the past! This kit applies to the 2002,2003 and first run of the 2004 model year, ignition system changed during mid year 2004 production run. OPT

Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big thanks!

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you have ANY problem with the Ducati "coil pack" or stator,JUST replace it with the update kit #2202602! Its a Kokusan stator,flywheel,cdi,coil and reg/rectifier with adapter harnesses to fit all the 700"s. Usually if you order the coil pack,most of the time now they are back ordered! And if the stator is bad,then it supercedes to the new kit any way. Dont waste you money on any Ducati part you can find as it wont last! I've done about 6 kits now,takes about 2.5-3.0 hrs to install and then ignition problems will be a thing of the past! This kit applies to the 2002,2003 and first run of the 2004 model year, ignition system changed during mid year 2004 production run. OPT
Thank you very much; especially for the instant part no.! They are located and on the way.

Tarzy..............

Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a video on the change ,, becouse i have change the replacement ignition. i still put it together wrong. i have one small yellow wire over the left wheel that not hooked up yet. and don't see a place for it. i have a 2002 polaris 700 sportsman twin.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You will have one extra yellow jumper wire that you won't need. Plus make sure you find the single red wire tucked up in the harness area that you need to hook up for the kit. If you're still stumped by the instructions on the kit maybe someone will post links to a video if there is one available. See if this pdf instructions are clearer than the paper one that came with the kit. http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...tion%20Kit.pdf OPT

Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002-700 sportsman ignition replacrment

Hi everybody and thanks for having me here! I'm a newbe in need of guidance. I have a 2002-700 sportsman that I believe needs the ignition system upgrade. Does anyone know the smartest way to go at this time? She's got alot of life left in her but my wallet stays pretty much empty these days !

Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by wildbill556
Hi everybody and thanks for having me here! I'm a newbe in need of guidance. I have a 2002-700 sportsman that I believe needs the ignition system upgrade. Does anyone know the smartest way to go at this time? She's got alot of life left in her but my wallet stays pretty much empty these days !
Just don't tie up any of your hard earned money into any replacement Ducati parts that are available on Ebay!! All you'll do is add more to the cost of the Kokusan kit that really is the only cure for this problem. Kit#2202603 Check around at Cycle Parts Warehouse,Cheap Cycle Parts ,etc on prices.Here's a pdf link on the instructions.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2I&cad=rja

Old 08-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up 2002 700 sportsman ignition

Thank you very much sir. I hope you are and continue to have a great weekend! The search begins.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 02 polaris sportsman 700 twin

I have a 02 polaris sportsman 700 twin limited edition.....is not getting any spark.....replaced the flywheel, stator and the cdi bow just keeps cranking and cranking....and nothing...any ideas....HELP......please.....

Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Replaced with the updated Kokausan ignition kit or just replaced with original type Ducati parts? If it's the updated kit and you don't have spark recheck the ground(brown) wires especially at the stator and also the common ground area.If you bought used Ducati parts,that could be your problem.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sportsman 700 Twin "No Spark"