Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hub strut seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hub strut seals

One of my 2002 magnum's front hub seals is leaking pretty bad. Not sure if it's the inner or outer yet. Does anyone know of seals that will fit from the local parts store? And will I have to completely disassemble the strut to replace them. I'm figuring yes. Any tips on this? Never had to do this before but should be pretty straight forward.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the hubs,drop the a-arm and tie rod end from the strut. You can wiggle the driveshaft out of the strut by pulling strut out slightly and bending cv joint out of the strut.You can then use a seal puller to pull the old strut seal out and use a bearing installer if you have one to correctly line up and install the new seal. Make sure you dont drive the seal in too far or will leak. You can use a mark around the old seal first for reference. The hub seal has to be pressed in,dont try to drive in or you will damage it. May be some other posters can give you aftermarket seal numbers if available, oem are not that expensive.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the tip OPT. That sounds alot easier than I was thinking. Now hopefully I can find some automotive seals that'll match up instead of ordering them.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Finally got to work on the seals and tried to locate the leak before tearing down. Now I can't find it. I cleaned the whole area up, replaced with fresh fluid, then took it out for a little bit and flogged it. Still not seeing where it was leaking from. Before cleaning I looked at the inside of the rim, it would suggest that the leak was dripping directly below the lower ball joint. Can the hub fluid leak through the ball joint??? I know my wife was in some pretty deep water and mud the last time she rode it. Could the ball joint have gotten some water inside and looked like oil once it started dripping back out? It sure looked and felt like oil. I'm a little puzzled at this point. Any suggestions before I rip it apart for nothing?