Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Engine replacement - I did do a search...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement - I did do a search...

Hello,

I have searched, I am sorry if this topic has been covered, however I did not find anything.

I have an old polaris explorer 300. Engine has seized, I believe because it was not getting sufficient oil mixture, but cannot be sure. My brother inlaw is an automotive mechanic he sead he "leaned it out the maximum he could becuause the thing would smoke a lot."

I drove it quite a bit, and the thing would heat up a lot (I thought that was normal) I could see the fan come on so I didn't think there was a problem. After about an hour of riding one day I shut it down and I could not restart it. The thing was seized.

Anyway, I am wondering if it would be possible to replace the 1996 300cc engine with a 2007 300cc engine? I realize there will be differences, but would this be possible. Or should I simply rebuild the existing engine?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. sorry to hear about your engine. by the sounds he leaned the oil mixture out way to much causing a seizure. your engine is a 2 storke and the 07' i'm guessing is going to be a 4 storke which is totally differnt. you might be able to convert it all over, but you would differnt wiring and alot of pieces. it wouldn't hurt to take out your engine and start pulling it down to see what seized in it where it's the piston or crank bearing. you might be able to buy parts on ebay or something as well. either way good luck. imo

Old 05-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Stendori,
I should've searched the specs for the 07 300. I assumed that it was 2 stroke because of its small size. You are indeed correct that it's a 4 stroke. I think the conversion would be a little over my head. I also like the simplicity (from what I've been told) about the 2 stroke engine.

I'll start tearing the old one apart to see if it can be repaired and where the seizure has occurred.

Thanks for your info.

I'll post more when more has become clear

Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not a problem. i think you would be better off sure on either a rebuild of the 300 or at a replacement. i see there is about 40 differnt engine parts for that engine on ebay(just did a quick check) and you can still get plenty of parts. good luck.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a shop manual and rebuild that bad boy! It is going to be a lot cheaper than buying another motor and fitting it in. 2 strokes do tend to seize at the end of the pistons life cycle, it may not totally be from the oil ratio. Still, once it is up and running again, don't be afraid of a little smoke, that is normal.