Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Yay another problem, 4x4 dead, Xplorer 500

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay another problem, 4x4 dead, Xplorer 500

Well I got stuck in a mud hole, I rev'd a bit, and sure enough my front wheels stopped turning.. Didn't know what the problem was. So I winched her out, and drove her home. On my way home i felt the machine vibrate a lot and make grind noises and when i got the time to check out the problem, i was a bit depressed.

The Red is what spins, the Grey doesn't spin. That red bar spins, the grey universal joint doesn't. I'll try and get actual pictures tomorrow.

Now i'm a "noob" when it comes to ATV parts, etc. So i'll say it in my lingo. The metal bar that comes from the Transmission spins freely inside the U-joint connection point, where the 2 make contact.

When i put her in reverse all i hear is a LOUD high pitch "Clang clang clang" but in forward, its just a rumbling grinding ride.

Now my main question is, how would this be fixed? Is it a pin that holds them together or are they fit together by a machine? How do i remove that bar from the transmission?

Its a very uneasy part to access

Thanks fellas, and sorry for all the posts. This machine is dyin on me apparently

Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not 100% sure but i would gues the shaft that goes into the unv. is splined and would have a roll pin going threw it to hold together. now something broke,either roll pin and or the spine is gone. also i would woner if the front end didn't some how sezie up and caused this breakage? there again this is just a guess.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Agree with stendori. If push comes to shove you could try welding your shaft in on the U-joint side. But I'd only do that if the parts were pretty much trashed and only as a temporary fix.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

its the Snorkel Shaft thats been disconnected from the universal joint.. so what should i remove? should i disconnect the front differential, move it forward, slide the joints apart, seperate the universal joint, slide the one half back on and use a snap ring? or.. take the Snorkel shaft out? Would i have to take apart the whole Transmission to take the Snorkel shaft out?

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/sch...30_190_244.gif

Its #15, the snorkel shaft.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

New update, I lifted her off the ground and spun the front wheels and the Axel shaft doesn't spin with the front tire... When i spin the prop shaft with my hand, the 2 front shafts that come from the front diff don't spin.. and the prop shaft is really hard to turn too..

Is my Front diff dead? the shaft going to it is hard to spin, and when spun the 2 shafts that come from it to each tire doesn't spin.. I can't spin them with my hand at all.