Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Touring Clutch Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Touring Clutch Kit

Hi, I am new to your forum and have been looking for information on clutch kits for ATV's. I bought the Touring a year ago and have 350 miles on it and have the 27" ITP Mud Lite tires which are 1" bigger than stock.

It runs great but with the weight and tires, I am wondering if a clutch kit will wake it up much or drastically change the mileage as it runs 18-20 CDN so I am very pleased with that.

I was at the Polaris dealer today looking for engine specs to determine if the 7400 rpm I am pulling is about right or what is the shift out rpm supposed to be. The dealer does not have specs like they do for sleds and sells kits which have 2 springs and a set of weights. The weights are 10 series like we run in our sleds and I have a swack of them in the tool box. Anybody have a suggestion as to where to start. On a sled we change the front clutch spring and then weights and then the rear spring. One thing at a time and cheaper than $285 for the complete kit.

Any suggestions as to what people are doing to their 500 fuelies would be appreciated. I will assume that the Touring is geared down a bit from the standard 500 fuelies and therefore may be a bit slower with the bigger tires.

Thanx for your help here in Saskatchewan.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. thier are tons of post of clutch kits if you use the search feature and type clutch kits. for the most part if you clutch the 500 you gain say in low end grunt but loose in top end depending on what you do. the 7400 rpm's sound high to me for the 500, but 100% sure. if your happy w/ what you have in how it is running and your not burning the belt(use low range) and getting good gas milage, then leave it the way it is. these are not power bikes but any means but are extremly reliable.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

they work the same as snowmobiles, heaviersprings and lighter weights improve bottom end, and vice versa for top, try a white spring in your primary , it will raise engagement a lttle , help on the bottom but you will lose on the top, a green spring would be the next step up but that gets a little too much ,IMO, Ive done both in my older 500 and liked the white better.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

When you say white spring, I assume that is a Polaris spring and not an aftermarket? I have been clutching sleds for years but Polaris is very reluctant to post the spring rates for their ATV's and pushes the complete kits which may be fine for anyone not every having a clutch cover off but I think we all know that you can get to the end in a couple of different paths.

Thanx for the advice.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

yes, the polaris spring, I have an old book with all the springlengths and wire diamaters, does not have there rates, I have messed with the 500 alot and found a little lighter weight and the white spring seem to be the combination, you sound like you like to twwek on things too, have fun, Fwithf, is also very googd with clutching maybe he will join in.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure the secondary is set right, below500 ft,2on helix,2on clutch above 5000 ft1on clutch, 2on helix.and wind clutch a third of a turn,

Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

We are at 1900 ft but I am sorry in that I do not quite understand your post. I was looking at the Polaris parts manual and the 08 500 efi's have ebs and a Team style clutch so all we can adjust is the springs, perhaps throw a delrin washer under the spring cup and work with the helix. Not sure but i think you were describing adjustments to a button clutch where we always used to run the spring in the 2nd hole to give it a bit more rpm and better backshifting or am I missing something here as I have not had the clutch cover off as yet. I only have 350 miles on it.

Looks like I may have to order a Shop Manual to really get my knowledge up to speed on these things. I am coming off a 1992 250 Sportsman 4x4 which was flawless for all of the years I owned it. (purchased new) so lots of things have changed to say the least.

I play with my sleds all the time and usually just drive the quad which is a nice break from tuning. I had an 08 Turbo Dragon and now a 2010 800 Switchback sled which I have dialed in but the Sportsman is another story and that is why I am here, to read and find out what others are doing to make them as efficent as they can be without reducing the reliability.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes he was thinking of an adjustable secondary helix which yours has a roller secondary which you can change spring and helix and nothing else. just remember when you pull that cover off, to make sure the gasket is in correct for thats what stops the water from coming in and every time you decide to take it off is one more chance of the gasket getting ruined and not stopping water coming in. your right in not thinking this is like the polaris sleds in tuning, as there is alot more power to pull out of your sled by clutching, but really not the 500 atv's. if you decide to raise your engagment by another primary spring, just make sure that it doesn't raise your top rmp's to where your over reving. imo

Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

Any idea what the 500 efi's are supposed to rev when they are at full shift out. I stated earlier that mine will run aroiuind 7400 but i am not sure if that is high, low or in between. I have not had it on a road for awhile to let you know how fast it goes at top end so unable to provide that info. I see you ride an 800 so an entirely different animal with the additional power comes more speed.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

The 500's HO should be 6300-6500 for top rpms. The (non HO) motors are usually 6000-6200.

7400 is way to high!

Quick Reply: 08 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Touring Clutch Kit