Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

where's that make / model thread on HP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
Got into it with a Thunder Cat rider that lives on my street who insists his TC has 15-20 hp over the outty 800- He thinks his TC has over 90 hp (stock by the way)
He's one of those "everyone's atv sucks because it's not what he rides" guys

Says "all japanese" atv's have plastic diff gears, can-am's have weak frames, popo's have bad suspensions and weak motors- and he researched in-depth before choosing his god made TC-

I got tired of listening to his flapper so I got into it with him a little- he's 26 yo and been riding atv's for 3 years. His first ATV was a honda rancher- his second this TC - nuff said
Aren't the TC Suzuki powered? Pretty sure that is who AC get/got their engines from?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Arctic Cat could make the Thunder Cat ATV more powerful if they wanted, there 1000 4 stroke Z1 snowmobile motor makes 123hp.

2010 Arctic Cat Z1 Review

Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
Aren't the TC Suzuki powered? Pretty sure that is who AC get/got their engines from?
Depends on the year. They used to use some Kawi engines too. Now AC is making most of their own engines............ 650, 700, 950.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Originally Posted by TLC
Arctic Cat could make the Thunder Cat ATV more powerful if they wanted, there 1000 4 stroke Z1 snowmobile motor makes 123hp.

2010 Arctic Cat Z1 Review
Sure, all the manufacturers could, but why....... There are plenty of fools that will throw out $10K easily, just because it says Thundercat on the tank or 1000. Same as the CanAm guys. It's all about how the machine boosts their little manhood.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about how the machine boosts their little manhood.

I think to a certain degree you need that hp- I've been stuck in mud holes before just because the motor didn't have enough hp to turn the over sized tires- I think anything between 45-55hp hp is way plenty to get through any situation you'll experience on any trail on this earth- once you start getting into the 60+ hp motors, your talking extreme sports- There's a video on you tube of an 18 wheeler being pulled by an outlander... why? is anyone really looking to pull farm equipment with an outlander or TC?

These atv's cost so much because of the engineering that needs to happen to design and build parts at their minimum weight that will handle the maximum torque. The stronger these motors, the more metal (alloy) you need to transfer that power.
Pretty soon you'll need 4" drive shafts & 2" axles to support the power generated by these big bores-

Sure- you can throw in a clutch kit to move your 30" silverbacks- but what about the drive shaft, crankshaft, bearings, and every nut & bolt holding your motor & chassis together, everything from the piston to the fender bolts are effected when increasing HP & traction. These same people cry foul when they snap an output shaft of twist an axle in half!

what was my point again

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I'm pretty sore from yesterday- The official milage (on my odm) was 49.5 miles- 6 hours. So that puts us covering about 8.2 miles per hour- does that qualify as extreme sports?

I'm editing the video now- the files are pretty big so I'm using "Wax" software to edit the footage before I upload to you-tube.

Lets really plan on riding somewhere else soon- I want to explore some new trails...

-

Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I've been stuck in mud holes before just because the motor didn't have enough hp to turn the over sized tires-
Once your in low range the tires will turn no matter what, or snap the axles tying even on a 400 from my experience.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by TLC
Once your in low range the tires will turn no matter what, or snap the axles tying even on a 400 from my experience.

my trx300fw wouldn't turn the 29" mud tires even in 4x4 low.
With the throttle pinned, the clutch didn't slip- it just torqued out the motor. the motor would not get over 1600 rpm with the throttle wide open and the clutch not spinning. I was in a thick mud / clay hole and had to winch out. There just was not enough power to turn the 4 wheeles in the thick clay / mud. If I put it in 2x4, the rear tires would spin, but just a little. Those atv's are rated at only about 18-22 hp at the shaft, which = even less down the line.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

my post #16 was supposed to be on my other thread "where to ride > mass trails park at my house"

sorry about that- maybe a mod can fix it, or delete it?

thanks-

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

What year TRX, I thought Honda had no low range sub tranny just a super low 1st gear. On my 89 350 Big Bear, it had a true low range 10 speed sub tranny, I had it stuck in some thick clay,and in low it snapped a front CV joint before running out for power.

Quick Reply: where's that make / model thread on HP?