Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 600 Twin wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 600 Twin wont start

hello all. Im new to the forum. My ride wont start. The solenoid clicks, starter turns once, maybe twin then the dash lights go out. I read though some other posts that suggested shorting the solenoid, but nothing. Is it the battery? All the lights on it work. I am the second owner and have had it for 8 months or so. I have not serviced it yet and do not keep the battery connected to a trickle charger...I also jumped it with my car a few times in the past which I found out afterwards is a no no...Help please. Also, I don't have any fancy tools to check the voltage, etc.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like battery is shot and jumping it off is not good at all also all you need to check the charging system is a volt meter

Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergio_600Twin
hello all. Im new to the forum. My ride wont start. The solenoid clicks, starter turns once, maybe twin then the dash lights go out. I read though some other posts that suggested shorting the solenoid, but nothing. Is it the battery? All the lights on it work. I am the second owner and have had it for 8 months or so. I have not serviced it yet and do not keep the battery connected to a trickle charger...I also jumped it with my car a few times in the past which I found out afterwards is a no no...Help please. Also, I don't have any fancy tools to check the voltage, etc.
welcome to the forum. you have to make sure the battery is 100% charged really before you can check anything else for sure as it might be the battery. you can buy a tester(get the digtal)for fairly cheap and it's a good tool to have. just don't jump your wheeler w/ the car running and you should be fine if you need to get it going. if the starter just clicks when its a full battery then you can test the solenoid(w/ the key on) by jumping the 2 big cables to see if the starter turns over. if so then the solenoid is bad.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. I'll try getting a new battery.

UPDATE: Voltage is 11.3 but dips to +/- 3 volts while cranking...is that normal?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll try getting a new battery.

UPDATE: Voltage is 11.3 but dips to +/- 3 volts while cranking...is that normal?
you have have at least 12.5 volts beofre you start cranking. if you mean .3 volts ya thats fine, if you mean an actuall 3 volts then no thats not normal. sounds like you either a non charged battery or a bad battery. when the bike is running and reved up some it sound be putting out 13.5 to say 14.5 volts to be a normal charging bike.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Getting aggravated...New battery is in and the same problem...solenoid clicks, starter engages and turns once or twin, then nothing...Do I need to bite the bullet and bring it to get serviced and take it up the rear?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

you have a new battery in it now and still doing the same thing just about has to be the starter,try taking the spark plug out and see if it turns then anyway runs fine when you get it running never have to add water to it or anything

Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad starter. Mine did the same thing when it went out. The starter would spin when removed from the motor, but would could not turn the motor over. a new $70 starter from ebay fixed it.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by helmethair78
Sounds like a bad starter. Mine did the same thing when it went out. The starter would spin when removed from the motor, but would could not turn the motor over. a new $70 starter from ebay fixed it.

That's my next move. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's my next move. Thanks.
UPDATE:

Pulled out starter (relatively quick - i impressed myself ), and it looked and smelled terrible. Ordered new one $66...Should be in on Wednesday...

Quick Reply: 2004 600 Twin wont start