Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front storage rack cover ripped off 800 sportsmen!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Front storage rack cover ripped off 800 sportsmen!

In a hurry and not thinking I quickly loaded my sportsmen on my pickup truck, with the rear of the atv pointing towards the front of the pickup. Took off and drove the 2 hours to the parents farm, get there and my front cover from the storage rack is gone, one hinge it broke the plastic on the cover, other the screw holding the hinge to the machine broke. I never checked to see if it was latched, and it apparently was not, and flipped up in the wind and tore away, hopefully not going threw somebodys windshield that was following me. I back tracked the same route a few days after and did not come across the cover. So now got to order a new one, its like $150 from Polaris OEM site.. unless somebody has a crapped out sportsmen and has a cover for sale?!?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's too bad.........Why did you back it up onto the truck?
Most I see drive up on the truck bed then reverse back down the ramps to unload
......Caper............

Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Deputy_Swan
In a hurry and not thinking I quickly loaded my sportsmen on my pickup truck, with the rear of the atv pointing towards the front of the pickup. Took off and drove the 2 hours to the parents farm, get there and my front cover from the storage rack is gone, one hinge it broke the plastic on the cover, other the screw holding the hinge to the machine broke. I never checked to see if it was latched, and it apparently was not, and flipped up in the wind and tore away, hopefully not going threw somebodys windshield that was following me. I back tracked the same route a few days after and did not come across the cover. So now got to order a new one, its like $150 from Polaris OEM site.. unless somebody has a crapped out sportsmen and has a cover for sale?!?
Hate to be on the receiving end of that at 60mph!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

I would check ebay and see whats on there. just an idea

Old 07-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya i found a cover just lke that, that some one had lost the same way. i still have latches and lock &ride bars from it, but as like yours the cover hidges when toast.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

http://forums.atvconnection.com/clas...ns-2007-a.html Took me some searching but I found this link to another post on here a while back. Look at the 4th or 5th pic down at the straps Chuck hooked up in the cargo box. Should help if it happens again. I did the same with my 800 and have 2-2gallon rotopax tanks mounted on top of the box. Can open it up with them full of fuel and the straps hold strong!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Can't beat the one Stendori found on ebay. I know - I was in the same boat. Had my 700 on the trailer and in the review I see a long streamer of toilet paper blowing back there in the wind. WTF? I quickly realized that it was my TP I had in my front trunk - and that means the lid is open. Well it was open alright. Open and tore right off.

I went back and found it. Run over, broken into pieces with the steel hold downs crushed and bent.

So I couldn't find a used lid anywhere. Found some complete trunks, but no lids. Got mine at the dealer. I installed uni-strut in place if the factory steel rails.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

LOL

I didnt the same thing on my X2 thank the good loard the box had a cable that held it on.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Same thing happened to me on my 2005 Sporty 700. it sux! cost me $125 to fix

Quick Reply: Front storage rack cover ripped off 800 sportsmen!